Lucas..Engine Oil Stop Leak..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm doing an oil change today and decided to add the "Lucas Engine Oil Stop Leak" I got at Kmart that was on sale. Anyway...You guys aint kidding this stuff is thick. It ought to come in a cartridge to put in my grease gun
crackmeup2.gif
I will be mixing it with 6 qts of PYB. Lets see if it helps with the oil consumption problem.

If your burning oil then there is a good chance the oil control rings are not working properly because of gum, crud, etc. In that case a high detergent oil would be best.

The other case is the ring and/or cylinder walls are worn and thicker oil may help. You would be better using thicker oil than adding anything Lucas.

Consumers Reports added STP to oil years ago and tested the viscosity. It turned a 5W30 into a 15W40. Using anything that thickens your oil in Michigan at the start of winter isn't wise.

Originally Posted By: cat843
If your burning oil then there is a good chance the oil control rings are not working properly because of gum, crud, etc. In that case a high detergent oil would be best.

The other case is the ring and/or cylinder walls are worn and thicker oil may help. You would be better using thicker oil than adding anything Lucas.

I tend to agree. Diluting additives with Lucas isn't going to improve things. If you want thicker oil, use thicker oil. Maxlife is available in 10w-40 and 20w-50.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Using anything that thickens your oil in Michigan at the start of winter isn't wise.

Your probably right.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Using anything that thickens your oil in Michigan at the start of winter isn't wise.

Your probably right.

Just started the truck up and it struggled to turn over. I just might drain it out early IDK. It is 35 degrees outside now and suppose to be in the 40's-50's next week.

Your probably right.

Just started the truck up and it struggled to turn over. I just might drain it out early IDK. It is 35 degrees outside now and suppose to be in the 40's-50's next week.

If it struggled to turn over at 35 degrees with a good battery, then that oil is way too heavy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back