Non-detergent oil in small engines

Sadly I see a lot of non-detergent 30 weight around here. A lot of the dollar stores carry it. I cringe when I see people buying that junk. Given the chance I try to gently talk them out of it.

Wal-Mart has non-detergent in Accel brand, but they also have regular detergent SAE 30 in SuperTech and I believe Castrol and Rotella.

Andrew S.

Last edited:
Some of the farm-oriented store chains have ND oil in a variety of grades.
ND 30 can be found everywhere, but Rural King also stocks an ND 20W-20.
Not sure what you'd use it in, but you apparently have the application for it.
They also stock a large range of hydraulic filters and cylinders.
Some of the less mass-market more specific market stores have things you'd never imagine needing.
The kinds of things you can't find at any Walmart.

Originally Posted By: bmwpowere36m3
I've seen plenty of non-detergent SAE30... but that's about it. The only other non-detergents oils I've seen are sometimes marketed/label as "break-in" oils.

Tractor Supply has single grade non detergent oils in 10 to 40 weights...

Originally Posted By: MolaKule

In my view, SA ND oils are only good for coating rakes, plows, shovels, etc before storing them.

Whats your opinion on using them as a bar & chain lube? I have used them in my chainsaws for years with apparently no ill effects. Other than the lack of tackifiers, I see no real difference.

Aren't ND used for compressors and some hydraulic pump applications? That is, non combustion machines.
Which is reasonable, but maybe they would do just as well with regular engine oil?

Compressors and pumps need ND oil due to foaming caused by vibration and the fact they aren't sealed units like an engine is. I haven't seen a compressor without a vented plug or cap.

All engines prior to 1930 spec ND oil, but anything beyond the Maytag 2 cylinder 2 cycles call for detergent based oils. One of the last ND spec cars was the Model T. That shows how out of date that oil is. Will it work? Sure it will. Especially when the alternative is run without oil. Will it provide the best protection technology has provided? No, it won't. I've used it in a pinch, but it isn't the best option available.

Air cooled engines are as caveman as you will find today and the reality is that simply having clean oil in it will let it survive for now. Longevity wise, there are way too many factors that affect them more heavily like dirty air filters. To say whether or not ND oil will damage the machine in the long term is sketchy with so little data to support either side.

Totally agree with phils, except on the point of compressors NEEDING ND oil. I bought a new Campbell Hausfeld compressor in 1980, and the book spec'd 10w40 oil. That is what I have used in it every since, and it is still pumping right along. And it gets used a LOt, as it is a little to small for the tools I use sometimes, and has to run a lot. Also, I probably don't change it as often as I should.

My buddy's dad restores antique cars and tractors for a living. I stopped over there the other day and he was rebuilding an old 23D Briggs and Stratton. Somehow we got talking about oil...

He said that it is important to run a non-detergent oil in a splash lubricated engine, because all of the metal particles settle to the bottom. If the engine is pressure lubed and has a filter, then using a detergent oil is okay because the particles are suspended in the oil and filtered out.

I've been working on small engines for around 10 years now, and have always used detergent oil. First Pennzoil and more recently Rotella. Any thoughts on this? I don't really see detergent oil causing more wear in a splash lubed engine, but it got me thinking.
I was once told not to put detergent oil in an already dirty engine. It may break too much crud loose at one time. Honestly, this makes logical sense. If someone has not done proper maintenance you should be careful adding too much detergent oil at one time. In a sense the same applies to transmissions also. If they are very dirty and the old fluid is changed for fresh the valves will likely become clogged.

I was once told not to put detergent oil in an already dirty engine. It may break too much crud loose at one time. Honestly, this makes logical sense. If someone has not done proper maintenance you should be careful adding too much detergent oil at one time. In a sense the same applies to transmissions also. If they are very dirty and the old fluid is changed for fresh the valves will likely become clogged.
Not really, it's not as if the detergents in the oil are going to make large chunks separate in any way. Heck on here when people post pictures of sludged up engines what's the common recommendation? To use an oil with "cleaning ability" to slowly remove the deposits rather than using a harsh solvent.

A non-issue and just more imagination. There is no justification for using ND oils in an ICE.

I would never run ND oil . I run synthetic 10w30 in my 4 stroke equipment.

Last time I used ND oil was in 1969 when I pumped gas a the Esso station. Regular customer with a 2 stroke Saab used a Qt. of ND 30W in the gas tank with 10 gallons of gas if memory serves me.

Topic is still as valid today as it was 6 years ago! And...at least he used the search function.

I‘m not knocking it. I’m a fan of brining existing, relevant threads back to life.

I was just impressed at how old the thread was!

Back on topic. I’ve looked for ND oil at gas stations and such and never see it. That’s a good thing.

My dad ran detergent oils for years in his stuff, im quite sure the metal stuff just sinks to the bottom.....i've never had any issues with detergent oils in engines without oil filters.....

Back