Buy 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8??

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife has had a dead reliable '93 GC 4.0 but with rust taking over and has found this clean 2000 with the 5.2 V8. I recall that the 4.0 around 2000 had head issues and I'm wondering if this vintage and with the old 310\8 engine have any particular pattern failure issues. thanks

2000 is going to be the 4.7L v8. The 5.2 stopped in 1998.

The 4.7 is reasonably reliable (for a Chrysler product of that era) and the 5 speed auto isn't bad.

The biggest problem with the 4.7 Grand Cherokees is their propensity to fry enginecomputers.

Is this a limited or a Laredo? The limited might have the blend door issue as well as a less desirable "AWD" transfer case. The 4.7 also is known to drop valve seats too. I'd personally stay away.

The 0331 head issue affects any 4.0 from 99-02 so a 2003 or 2004 WJ would be good. Apparently some later model 2002 WJ's are okay as well, but you have to look down the oil fill hole and see if the head says TUPY. You cant miss it.

A 98 or older 4.0 would be good as well, but it might have the same rust issue that yours has.

I have heard of guys putting later model Wrangler 4.0's in early model WJ's too.
21.gif

I understand your affinity due to your current GC service.

My opinion: no.

Reasons: Sisters husband had one (the 5.9?). Many issues. This was about ten years ago.

Are you considering anything else?

what does "dead reliable" mean?

If your buying a used car in MN, check for rust and if not too bad and you buy the car then use CarWell or FF or Krown to keep the rust from becoming an issue.

Yup right-it's the OHC 4.7 driven by long chains. I was hoping for a short chain pushrod engine. The '93 4.0 has been very good for us at 160k miles=just typical wear components even tho it was mostly a 'not recommended' vehicle even back then. I like finding well maintained 'older' wheels and then keep them going. If a vehicle has minimal rust, I can generally keep it under control over a number of years. Not so interested in any problematic engines/transmissions tho!

Look for a Jeep GC that does not have the 4.0 engine from years when it had cracked head and/or cracked piston skirt issues. Maybe 2003?

And I might even recommend looking in different parts of the country, especially if you're looking for an older vehicle. I grew up in Iowa and rust was always an issue, as I'm sure is the case in MN. But here in the high desert of Idaho, older cars are almost always rust free. I have a 2000 Durango that's lived most of its life here in Boise (where we don't get much snow/ice) and it's often warm enough to wash undercarriages regularly. Underneath, looks like a 2 or 3 year old car from the Midwest. It's not unusual to see 30 year old cars here with zero rust.

With technology where it is (smartphone video, high quality pics), I might consider shopping outside your locale and considering shipping/freight an investment in a better vehicle. I know there are plenty of GCs here in Boise with the 4.0 that would go in the $5k to $7k range. Food for thought.

Come to S. Cal and you can find lots of rust free good older vehicles. You can take one home and destroy it there.

Find a duplicate of your current ride and keep your old one for parts.

I have a 31 year old Honda with no rust at all. It's never seen snow or freezing weather and very little rain. We've had our first frigid cold snap of the winter and the temperature plummeted all the way down to 45F last night.

20 to 30 to 40 year old daily drivers are a common sight here. The only ugly looking cars with mismatching fenders, doors tires and wheels and blowing smoke are driven by the illegals but you still won't see any really rusty ones.

Originally Posted By: cat843
Look for a Jeep GC that does not have the 4.0 engine from years when it had cracked head and/or cracked piston skirt issues. Maybe 2003?

99-01/02(ish) for piston skirt issues on the 4.0L

The 93 uses the AW-4 transmission, not the 42RH. Major plus

Only the early 93 ZJs had the AW4, most got the 42RE (it was a mid-year change).

As far as the 2000 WJ 4.7 mentioned in the OP, they're not bad, just a little quirky. The trans (545RFE) is pretty solid. The 4.7 itself holds up decently, just whatever you do, don't ever let it get hot. They love to pop head gaskets and warp heads when overheated.

This particular GC my wife found is Flame Red-same as her '93. Unfortunately, it appears as tho 2000-2001 was the end of a true red with the GC as they were more maroon/wine colors later, and with the gals the'looks' are the main deal-her wheels always need to be red. According to Carfax, this vehicle appears to be almost over maintained during the first 10 years as the orig owner bought it at lease expiration and with dealer oil changes every 3k and complete fluid changes at 30k and 70k. It has 120k miles now with longer service intervals with the 2nd owner. No major or 'strange' work noted excepting calipers, but I think I'll swing by my close by Jeep dealer and have a service writer run the VIN thru their system to see what else may show up. A fella I know was a writer at another Jeep store and mentioned some rear diff bearing problems were also common around 2000.

Yeah, the D44a rear axles used on those do get noisy sometimes. At 120k, if it's going to be a problem on that one, you'll probably be able to hear the beginnings of the whine already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back