LOL story...

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the guys that works for me this morning his truck was running rough...popped the air filter box and the filter was clogged by road dirt and somehow a paper towel got sucked up... ran to AZ bought a new one. Truck runs great again!

Filter is original 2006 with 191k miles in a 6L Chevy.

People change their filters way to often, he could have changed it at 150k miles and been fine.

Last edited:
No doubt about it...

When you stop and think about the surface area/holding capacity of something like the $16 TGA8755A on these engines, you realize service intervals are going to be lengthy.

I get mad at myself for not remembering to tell the change guys to NOT bring me the air filter to "look at how dirty it is" (it's never "that" dirty). Every time they do it's just another opportunity to put unfiltered grit in the system.

Originally Posted By: DeepFriar
Every time they do it's just another opportunity to put unfiltered grit in the system.

Yep. With the OEM provided restriction gauge, there's simply no reason to mess with it.

Nobody wants to bother with the filter on my MS3; the Mazdaspeed intake locates the element in front of the LF wheel...

I had a heated conversation with ford dealer about 100k and 20services ago. I buy oilservice plan at a ban breaking $12-14 a service. EVery service they would pull filter, its got dusty, change it.
They now get a notice on computer not to check air filter. I had to threaten no more service or car sales, and they dropped the update game with mom and me.
They ruined wippers once, too. Three day old rainx wipers got broke, you need new one. I do now and made them replace both and leave me old ones.

Harvey

I have one car with 90K on the air filter, another with 60K. I keep checking them and they look okay. My fingers are not itching to replace them.

The cabin filters on the other hand are awful at 15K.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Originally Posted By: DeepFriar
Every time they do it's just another opportunity to put unfiltered grit in the system.

Yep. With the OEM provided restriction gauge, there's simply no reason to mess with it.

Yep, only reason we opened up the filter box first is because the restriction gauge was pegged! If it wasn't for the darn paper towel would have made 200k!

Chevy did a wonderful job with the intakes on these trucks, they stay clean for a long time. Dirt doesn't like to go around the corner of the wheel well where they draw air from.

Unless you operate the trucks in an extreme environment like at a mine or something 100k should be a conservative change interval.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back