Cordless impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: itguy08
Milwaukee M18 Fuel. More power than most corded.

I have the Milwaukee M18 Fuel High Torque. Its a beast of a tool.

For me Milwaukee M18 gets the edge (although IR is very good from what I have read) as I am converging on Milwaukee M18 (Fuel) for all my cordless tools.

I don't know what I was thinking but I was thinking of the wrong set.

Although, I would love to justify needing the high end tools, I don't use them enough to need them.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
1,100 ft-lbs of torque to remove lug nuts?

b6382af92eeed4ea02aedeb4a842aaec.jpg

I have the last gen IR and the current gen Milwaukee. Neither would break chemically seized lugnuts on my BMW 318i.

An excerpt from a thread last winter:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3636415/Re:_Clash_of_the_titans_-_cord

Keep in mind that last time I sprayed the wheel interface at the lug bolt cones with zinc paint. IMO that helped a lot.

I had my wife shoot video. Its a DSLR, so while it can be amazingly clear, it can also have focus issues. I was confident Id have some strain on the first round, so we shot it and...

Nothing interesting...

The breaker bar, IR 360, big Milwaukee fuel 1/2" gun and the little 3/8" gun (18V) all took them off.

Then we got to the fourth wheel. Very salty. Tried a breaker bar on it and no dice... So we re-shot.

Breaker at first just a cursory go, then the W360, then the big Milwaukee (low and high settings)... And...

None could do it.

Now, Ive talked before about my guns not taking these when the bolts were badly corroded. Last year I stood on the very end of the pipe on the breaker bar, and with 250-ish lbs of force it took a while to break the corrosion. So I have to figure 500-750-ish ft-lb.

This year was a good deal easier. I didnt need to stand with both feet in the air, and only pulled the cheater pipe maybe 6-12" past the end of the breaker. SO Im guessing 400 ft-lb.

Thing is, at 400 ft-lb, I get why my old 360 IR wouldnt do it... Its only rated at 360ft-lb, the battery is many years old, etc. But a brand new 18V fuel Milwaukee, with brand new fully charged battery??

In this review it was rated at 900 ft-lb, though on a bigger fastener...

Originally Posted By: BigD1
1,100 ft-lbs of torque to remove lug nuts?

I do find rusty lug nuts on trailers of mine. They usually need some PB Blaster and an impact.

For me a cordless impact is indispensable as I do a fair amount of my mechanical work outside and do not want to drag a hose or extension cord through snow or rain or mud.

Last edited:
Unless you do alot of taking tires on/off why not stick with a breaker bar that never breaks down or needs charged. I would understand if used all the time though.

I got by for about 4 years with a cheap $100 NiCad cordless impact and a breaker bar for the really stuck lug nuts. It didn't really like cold weather and was fairly heavy. The batteries are shot now after 4 years of intermittent use.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
They have the Ryobi impact gun for $49 on special at Home Depot, only good for up to 125 foot pounds of torque.

I think you must be quoting the wrong type of tool. I wouldn't trust a 1/4" hex impact driver when combined with an adapter, combined with a socket to be able to put out the torque listed. 1/4" impact drivers are for screws sized fasteners. Just way too much power lost through the adapter. The OP wants a quality 3/8" drive square or 1/2" drive square impact wrench. Ryobi does make a 1/2" square tool that retails for $119 that puts out 300 ft lbs.

Originally Posted By: heyu
DeWalt all the way ,That is all i see at the big dirt tracks

+1! Dewalt DCF899 V Honda crank bolts.

I'm on my 3rd cordless impact, and now $1200 later, I am very happy with my IR 7000 20v with the extended anvil. Still over rated at 1100 ft lb, but it breaks lug nuts loose great. My 18v Milwaukee, and previous IR, I always had to break most loose by hand first. Not anymore with the new IR, it rocks. I have to do around 3000 lug nuts per year, and needed something that worked. A cheaper gun is fine for running nuts off, and back on, but that's about it.

Last edited:
if that Honda bolt had been there for few years, then this is truly impressive. If it was recently tightened to factory spec, then it is not.

Originally Posted By: garlicbreadman
Dewalt 20v hands down. Compact, light, extremely battery efficient and powerful.
Here is my video of my 20v 1/2 drive dewalt removing a honda crank pulley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK1E4WBVrqM

I am not sure a video of an impact removing a crank pulley bolt should lead one to conclude that the impact wrench wins hands down.

I would guess that the Milwaukee, Dewalt, and IR high end impact wrenches are not that far apart. Next important is what is my strategy for cordless tools converging on a single battery? Don't want to end up with a workshop full of tools, batteries and chargers that are all different.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: garlicbreadman
Dewalt 20v hands down. Compact, light, extremely battery efficient and powerful.
Here is my video of my 20v 1/2 drive dewalt removing a honda crank pulley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK1E4WBVrqM

Nothing special. It requires 130 lb-ft. Most of the 1/4 hex brushless impact drivers can handle that (which I wouldn't recommend).

Cordless impact wrenches can easily remove crank pulley bolts.

i like the craftsman someone posted earlier, but then again i have an electric impact and air impact in my garage...

when i travel i take a 1/2 drive breaker bar, a 4 way breaker tire tool and a pipe cheater for leverage.

edit: and hopefully my son is with me, who is pretty dang strong .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back