What is louder in long run? Asymeetrical or ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm wondering what ends up being louder in the long run...

A. tire with a notably quieter rating when new BUT is not cross rotatable (Directional Tread)
or
B. tire with a louder noise rating when new BUT CAN be cross rotated to even out wear (asymmetrical non directional tread)

Depends on the car. Some cars I've had really need cross rotating to keep the wear even and noise low. My 2001 Grand Prix that I used to have and my wagon fell in this category. My older 1994 Grand Prix wore direction tires fairly evenly and so does my 2014 Cruze. They did (and do) fine with direction tires. Just to add some confusion, when I had my 2001 Grand Prix near the end (between 200-230k miles) I put some Michelin tires on it and those wore great and the rotating didn't seem to matter as much.

If noise is really that important to you, going with directional tires adds some risk in my opinion and I'd avoid them.

There are too many variables - and I am not completely convinced that the tread pattern makes a significant difference. Inflation and suspension-related factors are far bigger drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back