5w20 motor oil choices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Lubricate it better... :eek:)

That's exactly what I thought which is why I can't understand why people buy 5W-20.

because who cares

the [censored] van the guys ride into work is a abused 2008 e350 with over 320k that had jiffy lube 5w-20 whatever-oil-filter changed at around 12k OCI and not a single issue with it.

Is there a certain power density, or bearing clearance, or some inherent design feature to allow/necessitate xw20?

If it lubricates as well as some posters here claim why isn't it used more in Muscle cars? My owners manual specs xw20 in sub zero temps, but 30s and 40s above freezing - most US guys run xw20 in warm weather, don't they?

I don't imagine a blown big block would be happy on 20s, but it lubricates better?
Also, what difference is there with a positive displacement pump?

I currently have QSUD 0W20 in my Acura in signature at the present moment. If NOT having a case of Pennzoil Ultra Pure Plus 5W20 in the garage courtesy of Gena & the Pennzoil Team --- I would buy acouple 5quart jugs of the Castrol Magnatec Full Synthetic 5W20 at Wally World for $18.74 & pair it with a Fram Ultra.

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
Castrol Magnatec is a full synthetic oil under $20 for a 5qt jug. Just another of many options out there.

Really? I thought it was a semi synthetic.

Originally Posted By: brian_06328
A few weeks ago I bought a 5 qt jug of Pennzoil Platinum 5w20 for 22.68, Pennzoil has a $10.00 mail in rebate going right now until the end of November so when that comes in I'll be into it for 12.68. I know some don't want to bother with those rebates, but I've never had an issue getting them and I'm happy to get good oil for such a good price.

Where did you get it for 22.68? That is on the APPROVED vendor list for the rebate
Walmart has it cheap but they were not on the vendor list now they do list a "other" vendor category is that how you did it?

I personally just went with the QSUD 5w30 for my vehicles it was 21.97 at Walmart
plus 10 bucks back 11.97 seemed pretty good for 5 qts synthetic oil. I got (2)

but that being said I like to stock pile a few oil changes worth of supplies
12.68 is pretty good for 5 qts synthetic.

I checked out the IBOTTA thing some other user was talking about and I am not interested at this time to do that much work for 5 bucks more.

Originally Posted By: Olas
Is there a certain power density, or bearing clearance, or some inherent design feature to allow/necessitate xw20?

If it lubricates as well as some posters here claim why isn't it used more in Muscle cars? My owners manual specs xw20 in sub zero temps, but 30s and 40s above freezing - most US guys run xw20 in warm weather, don't they?

I don't imagine a blown big block would be happy on 20s, but it lubricates better?
Also, what difference is there with a positive displacement pump?

I get what you are thinking, I really am, but I don't see the be-all-end-all stopping with what muscle car owners put in their cars as a general guess of what everyone buys.

Additionally, I don't know what you're expecting, but you're probably not going to get someone to build 10,000 engines with/without PDPs and boost-defeating turbos, and unicorn weiner injection systems. Sorry to break it to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back