'16 Highlander vs. new Pilot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for a new vehicle as the '02 Accord (225k miles) won't carry 3 kiddos around (4 years old & younger so 3 car seats). I would rather forego the minivan route if possible & make a 3rd row SUV work. Long story short narrowed it down to a 2016 Highlander XLE (new model was in 2014) vs. a new Pilot EX-L which is a new model in 2016. Need vehicle by May 2016 so time remains to order & get what we want. We thought about waiting for the 2017 Pilot to possibly help on some 1st year reliability issues but not sure when arriving & that would be cutting it close.

Highlander:
Pros - reliability, good 3rd row access, 2nd row captain's chairs available ($275 MSRP), flip-up rear hatch window, potentially less expensive, prefer exterior/interior color choices better (Nautical Blue w/ Almond leather), 120V power outlet
Cons - 3rd row cramped & low seating position, less cargo space, no transmission dipstick

Pilot:
Pros - larger & better 3rd row comfort, larger cargo area behind 3rd row, lower 2nd row seat heights so can reach 3rd row better while seated in 2nd row, Honda LaneWatch (right lane camera when changing lanes), Honda Sensing (lane departure warning, forward collision warning, etc.) available for $1k MSRP, backup sensors available, better mpg but comes at a cost of VCM(?) and direct injection
Cons - first model year so reliability questionable, VCM, direct injection, no CD player, audio controls touchscreen only, no 2nd row captain's chairs available, 3rd row access with (2) car seats in 2nd row only if 1 is in middle seat, no transmission dipstick

Looking for other items that we may have not have considered enough.

A big driver on this decision is space - people & cargo. Roof carriers are available for the Pilot & I assume aftermarket for the Highlander to help on the latter. We tend to keep vehicles for a long time (>decade) so reliability raises its hand as well.

Thanks.

Highlander. But be it known that I have an irrational hatred for GDI engines, even though I own one and don't know if the intake valves will get coked up or not.

No doubt, Highlander.

The 2GR is a decent motor and they have worked out most of the issues with them by now. The plugs are a little tough to get to, but a bit easier than the older 1MZ/3MZ.

The transmission filling is a bit tricky as Toyota recently revised the procedure again, and now requires you to buy a couple different tools to fill the unit. I *think* the old procedure will probably work okay (to an extent), but I do think it underfills the unit a bit.

Traditionally the Honda V6s need quite a bit more maintenance (timing belts and valve adjustments), and they also liked to eat a lot of motor mounts. Not sure about the new one though..

Haven't driven the new pilot but the Highlander is pretty nice drving on road. Don't think it has much off road ability but that's not what it was made for. Alabama was always king for SUV's as it seems that 90% of vehicles there are SUV's so resale should be good there too. Toyotas and Hondas both tend to hold good resale if you don't keep them too long.

None. Buy a minivan. I know you said you would rather forego that route, but IMO it can't be beat.

Our friends had two, then had another. They had bought a three row Infiniti. After the baby came, they went right out and bought a minivan.

With three rows up, cargo space is nonexistant, particularly if you need to carry a stroller and/or a pack and play. Access to the third row, while ok in a pinch for an adult, doesn't work if you have to actively strap in a child.

A can has much better access to the third row, and retains full access and cargo spacing with the third row up.

Don't worry, you'll still be a man when you buy a minivan. That urban legend has long been disproven.

Toyota all the way. No trans dipstick, no service needed either. If you must do it, drain cold fluid into a measured container & pump in the same amount of cold fluid from the L/F wheel well area & you'll be fine on the fluid level.

We didn't drive it, but looked at the 2016 Pilot and bought a 2015 HL Limited.

Really enjoying all the bells & whistles our 2005 HL didn't have.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
what is a 120 volt power outlet? serious question

Built in inverter.

Just bought a new Pilot. I did a test drive on the Highlander also, along with about everything else out there. I don't think you can go wrong with either. Just a matter of personal preference.

Have you tried a recent minivan? I realize you said you'd rather not, but if you can't afford a Chevy Suburban and you want a usable 3rd row, I'd go minivan. You'd be surprised at the ride, handling and power of even a basic new Grand Caravan. Siennas and Odysseys have always been nice IMO.

Coming from a Honda owner and fan, of these two I would say Highlander. Honda is not doing well on first model year reliability, as evidenced by the Fit and CR-V. Both of these models have combined to knock Honda behind Kia, Buick, and Audi on overall reliability according to CR.

I know Toyota claims no maintenance needed for the transmission, but I think that would be a big gamble on a vehicle this heavy, especially since it sounds like you intend to load it up. I also would suggest considering the Toyota minivan.

The third row setup and cargo space is abysmal on the highlander. That is key selling point of pilot over highlander imho. I know a family 5 and with captain chairs the cargo setup is terrible and unsafe with split seat.

The reliability of one over the other is pure guess.

Not a bad point. A good idea is to try and test drive both, strapping in kids etc. By that I mean sienna and highlander. You might be pleasantly surprised by the minivan.

I consider them equals aside from looks. The Pilot has a presence on the road. The Highlander has whatever the opposite of presence is. I can't see paying money for whatever that is. There is something cheap about the look. The taillights are awful. The Honda on the other hand might get mistaken for an Audi Q7 from the back.

Since 08 I thought the Highlander was more appealing than the Pilot, but not anymore.

maxresdefault.jpg

My brother in law a very much a guy's guy is embarrassed to drive his wife's 2016 highlander in 'oh la la red' color on brochure. Interestingly he never had qualms driving the black ody they had before.

He wanted a Ford Explorer sport.

If you are looking at a 16 Pilot, why not look at a Traverse? They are near identical in looks and the Traverse has been around for almost 10 years now; the bugs have been worked out.

I would go for the Highlander.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back