Rain-X 2-in-1 orange washer fluid stinks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Decided to try it out over the regular blue Walmart fluid I usually get. Was nice barely using my wipers in the rain today since the water beaded off but man does this stuff smell! I had to put my heat on re-circ to stop the odor from permeating the cabin. Never had this issue with the old blue stuff. I used their green 2-in-1 summer blend once during the warmer temps but it didn't reek like this.

Last edited:
No issues using Rain-X in all the years I've used it.

21.gif

Some VW owners have reported that the Rain X stuff has caused significant problems with their washer pumps....seems it goes after some rubber/plastic parts causing them to swell.

I have never smelled anything. I have never had trouble with hoses or other rubber parts, but it does leave a coating in the tank. I have been using it for years with no problems so far.

Originally Posted By: Boomer
Some VW owners have reported that the Rain X stuff has caused significant problems with their washer pumps....seems it goes after some rubber/plastic parts causing them to swell.

1 year using it so far in my MKV, knock on wood, no issues.

Just bought 2 gallons at Wal-Mart Friday (yea that was a mistake) and nothing unusual about the smell.

I've been using the green Rain-x washer fluid (bug removal) . It does form mold in the tank and it's clogged my nozzles on my Honda.

While I like the fact that it keeps my Rain-x coating fresh, I may try to switch to something less troublesome.

I don't need an antifreeze version, as I'm in South Florida.

I've never had any problems with the orange. I'd dump it and clean out my reservoir.

Odd. I only buy the winter blend from Walmart (time to stock up again!). I think my wife has used this orange Rain-X, but she had no complaints.

I've been using the orange stuff for at least seven years with no issues. On the rare occasions that WM is out of it I have purchased the Rain-X concentrate that you add to the regular washer fluid. No problems with that, either.

Try dampening a rag with it and wiping it on your cell phone screen. It'll get it really clean and leave behind a slick feel that lasts for a few days and improves fingerprint resistance.

I stopped using it awhile back becuase it didnt work that great in the winter. I switched to the prestone yellow in the winter and green for summer. Though that does make it a pain like I forgot to swap it out and it froze a few weeks back.
It was still kinda liquid in the res, but it had obviously froze in the lines and it wasn't gonna squirt. I hurriedly filled it as much as I could and after driving the car for an hour the heat from the engine heated up the lines enough to let me flush it through.
Still works better diluted about 50% than straight Rain-x orange.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back