Bourbon/Rye - what to buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
they 'char' the oak that's where the color comes from.

Benchmark is a starter whiskey not bad.. but no Woodford reserve either.. lol.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
they 'char' the oak that's where the color comes from.

Benchmark is a starter whiskey not bad.. but no Woodford reserve either.. lol.

Right and right. My recommendation was based upon the desire for something cheap, but still a decent example of the style. There is no "wrong" bourbon, really. I am not a big fan of Woodford Reserve or Buffalo Trace, but I like a lot of the other popular bourbons. My favorite bourbon, so far, is Booker's. I like the rustic, yeasty style. But, still, my favorite American whiskey is George Dickel No 12. Like Jack Daniel, it is called Tennessee whiskey for marketing purposes, but it still satisfies the legal requirements to be called bourbon. It is drier and more subtle than JD. But, as sales demonstrate, JD is still the most popular whiskey in the world. It is quite versatile.

As far as my exposure to Bourbons goes, I really like the Knob Creek Single Barrel variety. Makers is great. Makers 46 is very good. Great summer drams. Scotch is my thing but I don't drink it w/ ice. So come the summer time & I'm at a camp fire while travelling w/ the 5th wheel, I find that a good Bourbon on some crushed ice to be darned good stuff.

John.

I took the "no wrong bourbon", and bought ALDI's shelf brand, checking the labelling as described...it's IMO pretty good.

Next Christmas might try another brand.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
throw in a little music, women and bourbon makes life worth living.

"I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol, and wild women. The other half I wasted." - W. C. Fields

Hi Shannow,

A Bourbon whiskey has to be at least 51% corn (as the grain that is the source of carbohydrate for the fermentation), while a Rye whiskey has to be at least 51% rye. Lots of other rules about barrels etc.

Mash is a mixture of grain, malt and water that is fermented with yeast to make the ethanol. Sour mash is when an older batch of mash is used to start the fermentation of a new batch of mash.

Malt is rye/corn/barley grains that are germinated in water, then the process is halted by drying. This produces simple sugars from the complex carbohydrates in the grains.

It's easy to find Jim Beam white label in Australia, but it's nothing special. I think Jack Daniels (No 7) is better, but you can also get a Jack Daniels 1907 White label which is quite nice. I spend a little more and buy Maker's Mark bourbon, good quality but not overpriced.

Also, consider Bulleit Bourbon, it's got quite a high rye content for a bourbon, and that dry rye flavour in the background. To me Bourbon is a sweeter drink, while Rye is a dryer drink. I quite like Rye, it's slightly astringent nature appeals to me.

EAGLE RARE 10 yr Bourbon! For what its worth. This is some of the smoothest stuff you can get without dropping real coin. They even sell it in OZ.

Last edited:
I like Bulleit for common whisky, Jack Daniels ain't too bad either. I don't like Beam, but I did dump some Maker's Mark into cranberry sauce and pumpkin pie last year.

If you're really spendy - Balcones from Waco, TX. Their top-tier Balcones One, ooohhhh......

My son had a shot of 20 y.o. Pappy Van Winkle and one of 23 y.o. one shot was $130 and the other $170. His boss bought..lol. He buys good stuff but said this stuff was from another planet..lol.

Originally Posted By: Al
I have zero taste for Bourbons, whiskey’s, etc. Heaven Hill is great for me.

HH is the best $10 bourbon out there. Someone important who left Jeam Beam started that company.

Mid range I think Jack Daniels is the best. I didn't drink beer in high school or college. I didn't like it and still do not. I skipped that phase and went straight to JD.

Upper, I like Knob Creek 9 year.

best selling whiskey in America is $18/1.75 Early Times, Brown Foreman sold so much they bought Jack Daniels...they also make the bump up to Old Forester and Woodford Reserve, all good stuff IMO.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

even Jim Beam is $45 for 700ml,

shocked2.gif
shocked2.gif
shocked2.gif
shocked2.gif
shocked2.gif

No wonder they took your guns away

Originally Posted By: Doog

shocked2.gif
shocked2.gif
shocked2.gif
shocked2.gif
shocked2.gif

hahaha

Originally Posted By: Doog

shocked2.gif
shocked2.gif
shocked2.gif
shocked2.gif
shocked2.gif

We still have our long arms and our Rum - the local spirit.

3_595.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back