Rear end feels like its "loose"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys!!
smile.gif
I've noticed that my car feels like its wandering. I looked at my tires and they are still wearing on the inside pretty bad. They still have good tread tho. I cant deal with it anymore, its been doing it since 2013... I know I know, shame on me. Ive taken it to several different alignment shops, and all of them tell me its all within spec. I was driving on a pretty deserted road today and was going pretty fast. When I turn left around a curve, it feels like the rear of the car is "kicking out" or dog-tracking??. So for the heck of it, I actually tried to get sideways. It would not freaking go sideways!! It handles too good in the curves if that makes sense. I know darn well as light as the back end is, I should of gotten sideways. So... What alignment angle makes a car have super handling? Lol. Id say camber, but all the alignment places say its within spec. I cant recall what the numbers were. But there maybe something in the front end too, because if I swing the wheel side to side there is a repeating clunk under the floor. I got a friend swing the wheel while I looked. I saw just a little movement that looked like bad rack bushings. Actually its almost like the power steering is too sensitive. One shop told me it was rear struts... Could they cause all or some of this? As always you guys are the bestest and Thank you!!

Last edited:
Make and model would probably help... as would age.

I'd expect an alignment shop would be able to look and pinpoint a suspension issue, since it's a great way to drum up business.

My Toyota's feel like they wander, but that comes from brain-dead numb steering. I'd think on anything else "wandering" could be from worn suspension parts and/or bushings (unlikely here, see above) or perhaps a worn steering box or rag joint in the steering column.

How does the steering feel if you rock the steering wheel? Does it feel like it has play? What kind of tire pressure do you run? Low pressure can let a car lean a bit in cornering.

The steering feels nice and and tight when Im driving and I swing it back and fourth. But sitting still it clunks. It is tight and responsive, but has a clunk. It handles too good in tight fast corners, but going 55-60 and going around a slight curve, I feel like its going to wander itself across the road and over the side of the mountain lol. At speeds above 80, it is like its floating or skating on ice. Tire pressure 29 front 26 rear. Thats what my sticker says. The now 4 alignment shops I went to must be a bunch of jack legs. I did post the year make model and mileage now.

Originally Posted By: ChevyGuy3100
Oh sorry. 1999 Chevrolet Malibu. 240,000 miles.

There is no freaking way anyone can guess what's wrong with this car.

It's had an issue since '13 with uneven tire wear??

Yes... But I didnt drive it much back then so I didnt worry about it. But dont worry about the mileage xD It still runs new except for this problem, which im adressing now.

The repeating clunk under the floor when the wheel is swung side to side makes me think of worn suspension arm bushings. Have you asked any of the alignment shops to do a suspension inspection, instead of just asking for an alignment check? You mentioned the possibility of bad rack bushings; that also sounds plausible. They would contribute to looseness in the steering. At 240k miles, the Malibu is probably due for some suspension work. If your tires are wearing on the inside pretty bad, it could be excessive negative camber or serious toe-out, but your alignment shops have said alignment is OK.

Last edited:
Well I put a new set of I think AcDelco struts at 160,000 miles. Then at 200,000 miles I did both front wheel hubs, brake rotors and pads, both CV axles, new controls arms for the ball joints, and new sway bar end links. I havent done anything to the rear except struts because I dont see anything bad. The trailing arm bushing (the one thats on the "knuckle") has a lot of cracks in it. But it still seems tight. Thats really all the rear has that could be bad, right? The wheel bearings are good.

Well usually the factory designs them to understeer, so you would really have to try to get it sideways. At that mileage, everything bushing wise is worn , so alignments are not going to be precise.

I will take it for scrap the day it dies. But it still keeps up with the best of 'em out there
smile.gif
I runs pretty dang good actually. I take it several states away quite a bit. Several thousand miles away. Everybody tells me im crazy lol. But ive had the car since new so I know its been well maintained.

Originally Posted By: ChevyGuy3100
Well I put a new set of I think AcDelco struts at 160,000 miles. Then at 200,000 miles I did both front wheel hubs, brake rotors and pads, both CV axles, new controls arms for the ball joints, and new sway bar end links. I havent done anything to the rear except struts because I dont see anything bad. The trailing arm bushing (the one thats on the "knuckle") has a lot of cracks in it. But it still seems tight. Thats really all the rear has that could be bad, right? The wheel bearings are good.
Originally Posted By: spasm3
Well usually the factory designs them to understeer, so you would really have to try to get it sideways. At that mileage, everything bushing wise is worn , so alignments are not going to be precise.

Sorry didn't see your above post before i answered.
Trailing arm bushings, if the are not hard to do, i might do those. Rear strut mounts usually don't go bad like the fronts, but i would check them as well.

Its all good. Thats the sucky thing
frown.gif
They dont sell just the bushing, Id have to buy the whole darn trailing arm. It would be so easy to change. You know I kinda though for a second that maybe its because I never rotate my tires lol. But my front tires are wearing even and true all the way across, so nevermind. The front tires should wear way faster than the rear, but the front are like new, and the rear are nearly bad on the inside.

If the rear tires are wearing weird, then it sounds like the tread is worn down.

There's your problem.

Also, pump those tires up. That's way too low. I run 38 in my Camry and it handles great.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
If the rear tires are wearing weird, then it sounds like the tread is worn down.

There's your problem.

Also, pump those tires up. That's way too low. I run 38 in my Camry and it handles great.

I agree, 26 rear sounds low, and if your gauge is off it might be 24.
I'd try 32 then 34 and see how it does.

Yeah I think it sounds low too, but I thought GM said 26 for a reason. I will pump em up tomorrow before I leave and see how it does. Also Ive actually been to 4 different alignment shops. All of them give me the same bull. I hate this, because the rear eats up 45,000 mile tires in under 15,000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back