BMW Motorsports uses 0w-40 Off da Shelf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Well if the oil lasts a couple of hours in a race engine, then.......

It is used in plenty of 24hr cars FWIW.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

They get to top up the oil on the pitstops. If you watch close when they are fueling there is a port usually close to the fuel fill where they add oil. I mostly noticed it on the Corvette pit stops, the Porsche have the fuel fill up front so I missed where the oil fill was.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

They get to top up the oil on the pitstops. If you watch close when they are fueling there is a port usually close to the fuel fill where they add oil. I mostly noticed it on the Corvette pit stops, the Porsche have the fuel fill up front so I missed where the oil fill was.

Makes sense.

I wonder if Team Corvette has an very accurate wireless sensor inside the dry sump tank, or if they just do a rough estimate on how much to add based on oil consumption during race condition testing?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Shannow
It's amazing the stories that we can make up to support our world view on a couple of advertising puff pieces that show oil being poured from a bottle into an engine.

One of the Oz V-8 supercar teams used to invite journalists to a test day, get them to buy a 5L jug of Havoline dino 20W50, then watch them pour the retail oil into the tank of their dry sump system...then go on the test day.

What did that say about the oil that they ran on race day, when it mattered, with their race engine...absolutely nothing.

+1.

FWIW the new M's run a 0w-30/40

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lubricatosaurus
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
But what's stranger is that the PUP 0W-40 being poured into the BMW isn't even the Euro 0W-40 but the 0W-40 spec'd for Chrysler!

That's what I was getting at. Its the Chrysler SRT oil they're using in BMW's, NOT any euro-spec oil they make for BMW dealership or any other Euro formulas.
Notice how, in the picture in the first post, his thumb is strategically placed over the part of the bottle where they say SRT:

IMAG0850.jpg

jXQwAAp.jpg

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
It would be interesting to see a VOA on the BMW brand 0W-40, PP Euro 0W-40 and the latest version of PUP 0W-40 to see how different the BMW oil is from these other 0W-40s.
The PUP 0w-40 SRT oil has a high NOACK, too high for MB229.5, but it has a lot of moly, maybe better for the race team.

Yes it has afair bit of Moly but the 680 ppm of phos is low, lower than any BMW spec'd oil.
That's why I'd like to see a VOA of the Shell made 0W-40 or even the Shell made 5W-30 for that matter.

But this advertising is really Pennzoil bragging
about their new connection to BMW even though it's not likely the exact formulation BMW uses.
But in the process they are condoning the use of PUP 0W-40 for BMW use, in effect usurping the more expensive BMW branded oil. A bit nervy for Pennzoil and something I don't recall Castrol ever doing.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
It's advertising fluff...not "condoning", or recommending anything. Ads aren't documentaries.

You can dismiss it as "fluff" but they are selling PUP 0W-40 for use in BMWs. Consequently they are implying at the very least that it can be used in place of the BMW brand 0W-40 even though it carries no BMW certification (that I'm aware of).
Bottom line is that PUP 0W-40 now has de facto BMW approval.

I guess I entirely missed the point of all those 30 second documentaries that litter the screen.

So being a BMW, they are also endorsing 30,000km oil changes with their off spec oil...that's impressive.

Whose providing the warranty coverage when using this oil recommendation tool ?

BMW, Pennzoil, you ???

I wonder if they might be engineering in a controlled amount of oil burning to make space for the oil to be freshened every pit stop.

I wonder if they might be engineering in a controlled amount of oil burning to make space for the oil to be freshened every pit stop.

The fillers look similar to the dump cans used to refuel in NASCAR, just not 11 gallons. I am just wondering if they fill until it come back up the vent and then when they pull back the dry-break stops leakage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back