Is 0W40 The New 5W20, 5W30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you wanted a "one oil" for everything from Antarctica to the Sahara, in any petrol or light diesel engine, and probably most heavy diesels in a pinch, then 0W40 Mobil or Castrol would be the universal choice.

It's not my favourite grade, but I can see why it's popular. If M1 wasn't $109 (Oz) for 5L, and was at US prices, it would likely be in my garage.

+2 Shannow
smile.gif

No, there are just a lot of folks here who have a fetish for it.

If I'm not mistaken, its only spec'd for European cars. When the big 3 and Toyota start recommending it, it will be the new 5w20/30, but that will never happen in the US.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
It seems to me that there is a lot more talk on this forum about people wanting to use 0W40 instead of 5W20 or 5W30. Is it the new "go to oil?"

Maybe..., I just bought my first 0W40 today... three 5L jugs of Castrol were $26.99 on sale at CT. I plan to use it in my Beetle, my Sea-Doo's, BMW, and maybe my Explorer.

I read 0W40 performs well in VQ35s and since Nissan approves the usage of 40WT oils, I went ahead and pulled the trigger. Engine is very quiet, especially at start up. Gas mileage hasn't taken a hit and most importantly, zero consumption in 5,000 miles of chiefly highway driving. With both dino and syn 5W30, a .5-.75 qt top off would be required by now.

I would only use a higher weight oil if I was trying to specifically fix something, not just for the heck of it. In my Hondas, I just stick to the spec'd oil.

It seems to me that there is a lot more talk on this forum about people wanting to use 0W40 instead of 5W20 or 5W30. Is it the new "go to oil?"

I've got no reason to start using a 0w40 weight oil,so no.

Is it the new "go to oil?"

No.

Discussions on BITOG come and go. Use what your owner's manual calls for.

Nothing to use it in. My car originally specd 5w30 but back specd to 0w20. Ive used 0w20, 0w30, 5w20 & 5w30.

I would more likely believe that 0w20 is the new go to since alot of cars spec it now.

There was a time I used Castrol 5w-50 in just about everything and thick was in. Not only that but the higher the ZDDP Levels the better. Then I read about Fluid-dynamics on this forum and suddenly I'm using 0w-20 and 30 for the last several years. I am seeing more 0w-40 on shelves now, from what I have been reading it isn't holding up very well,not nearly as well as 5w-40. I guess I don't see a need for it at this time.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
If you wanted a "one oil" for everything from Antarctica to the Sahara, in any petrol or light diesel engine, and probably most heavy diesels in a pinch, then 0W40 Mobil or Castrol would be the universal choice.

It's not my favourite grade, but I can see why it's popular. If M1 wasn't $109 (Oz) for 5L, and was at US prices, it would likely be in my garage.

FYI Amsoil has come out with a 0w40, and the specs are pretty good on it.

Could be a trend; seems like people here are just starting to explore these oils and see how they're doing in applications calling for lighter oils.

Kind of leads back to the thick vs thin debate...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
There's still plenty of guys thinking it's a thick oil.

Some of us guys still think it's a bit thin.
But I'm a modern man, and I've come to accept it.

Originally Posted By: Kuato

Actual specs and approvals, or recommendations for use in applications requiring those specs and approvals ?

One's proven, and the other marketting fluff.

I just switched my Cadillac to it M1 0W40. I thought it seemed thick pouring in. And darker than I expected.

Originally Posted By: Shark
I thought it seemed thick pouring in. And darker than I expected.

Just the way I like my rum.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: Kuato

Actual specs and approvals, or recommendations for use in applications requiring those specs and approvals ?

One's proven, and the other marketting fluff.

Specifications as in the technical properties put out on the company data sheet. It does not yet carry any certifications/approvals that I'm aware of. I agree that it is a "me too" oil thus far, and unproven. Maybe I'll do an OCI with it and post the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back