Kids don't look up at overflying airplanes anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: maximus
Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
come on guys, it's a bus with wings.

get over it

Until your flight experiences an emergency and your life depends on the crew's training, decision making skills and experience, but I guess any idiot can be a pilot.

I guess the Space Shuttle and Apollo rockets were merely buses, too.

My grandparents and mom worked for Boeing on a rather big candle associated with the Apollo program. Then my grandparents were head-hunted by Aero Spacelines to work on the Guppy program.

I live in an area with all kinds of aircraft. Military (JBLM), airliners (Seattle Tacoma Intl.) civil (hundreds of little airports) and manufacturing/assembly (Boeing). Not a minute passes were an aircraft of some type is either heard or seen.
Do kids look up any more and wonder? No, not around here at least. They are FAR more involved with a gizmo (smart phone stuff) than to bother looking up. That doesn't mean they don't, but I don't notice it happening. It also has something to do with the fact that airplanes are as common as cars here. I will say that folks, including kids sometimes, will look up when we occasionally hear a fighter aircraft above. The noise is recognizable due to the fact that we have the Blue Angels visit every year and just about everybody recognizes a fighter aircrafts engines.
Now if you go to a local airshow...all kinds of kids seem very interested. Maybe not as much as decades ago, but you can still see kids getting into airplanes. Maybe even more so with space related items.
We have a well known flying aircraft museum called the Flying Heritage Collection. Many extremely interesting WW2 aircraft in actual flying condition. P-40, Zero, FW-190, BF-109, etc. Occasionally, especially around the city, you'll see these aircraft flying overhead. I always instantly recognize them by sound before I look up. Most people pay zero attention to them and haven't a clue what is in the sky...kids included.

Oh well, times are different and it takes a lot more to interest kids these days. If it doesn't fit onto the screen of an iPhone...they don't care so much.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: andrewg
I live in an area with all kinds of aircraft. Military (JBLM), airliners (Seattle Tacoma Intl.) civil (hundreds of little airports) and manufacturing/assembly (Boeing). Not a minute passes were an aircraft of some type is either heard or seen.
Do kids look up any more and wonder? No, not around here at least. They are FAR more involved with a gizmo (smart phone stuff) than to bother looking up. That doesn't mean they don't, but I don't notice it happening. It also has something to do with the fact that airplanes are as common as cars here. I will say that folks, including kids sometimes, will look up when we occasionally hear a fighter aircraft above. The noise is recognizable due to the fact that we have the Blue Angels visit every year and just about everybody recognizes a fighter aircrafts engines.
Now if you go to a local airshow...all kinds of kids seem very interested. Maybe not as much as decades ago, but you can still see kids getting into airplanes. Maybe even more so with space related items.
We have a well known flying aircraft museum called the Flying Heritage Collection. Many extremely interesting WW2 aircraft in actual flying condition. P-40, Zero, FW-190, BF-109, etc. Occasionally, especially around the city, you'll see these aircraft flying overhead. I always instantly recognize them by sound before I look up. Most people pay zero attention to them and haven't a clue what is in the sky...kids included.

Oh well, times are different and it takes a lot more to interest kids these days. If it doesn't fit onto the screen of an iPhone...they don't care so much.

To me, WWII aircraft are the most interesting...not only because it's cool to watch them operate, but because of all of the heritage behind them...there's nothing like watching an old warbird from the 1940s fire up and fly around the skies...I wish we had more of these aircraft around me, I could sit and watch them all day, every day and never get sick of them...didn't the Flying Heritage Collection used to be called the Confederate Air Force?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: grampi
To me, WWII aircraft are the most interesting...not only because it's cool to watch them operate, but because of all of the heritage behind them...there's nothing like watching an old warbird from the 1940s fire up and fly around the skies...I wish we had more of these aircraft around me, I could sit and watch them all day, every day and never get sick of them...didn't the Flying Heritage Collection used to be called the Confederate Air Force?

They call it the Commemorative Air Force now, at least here.

No...a different group entirely. Here is a link to the organization. They have a tab you can click on that tells the story of them and how they started.

http://flyingheritage.com/default.aspx

I also LOVE old WW2 fighter aircraft. They almost bring tears to my eyes when I see them fly past. I think about all the men that flew into combat over Japan and Germany...the courage...the lives lost...and then what we have become today.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

They call it the Commemorative Air Force now, at least here.

That's it! I knew they had changed their name...trying to be more PC maybe?

No...a different group entirely. Here is a link to the organization. They have a tab you can click on that tells the story of them and how they started.

I also LOVE old WW2 fighter aircraft. They almost bring tears to my eyes when I see them fly past. I think about all the men that flew into combat over Japan and Germany...the courage...the lives lost...and then what we have become today.

When I was a kid growing up I took for granted these warbirds would be around forever. They were so plentiful back then. Now they are so rare, just to be able to see them still flying is a miracle. I can't imagine how much it costs now days to keep these plane flying. Parts have become so rare, some have to resort to having the parts made. Not only that, but insurance premiums on these things have to astronomical.

There was a pilot who kept his P-51 Mustang at the Lewis University Airport. He had a "Chek" sounding name...his 1st name was Vlad, but I can't remember his last. I saw him doing a preflight on his Mustang one day so I approached him. He was very friendly and I noticed his Mustang was a 2 seater. I asked if he ever took passengers with him when he flies, and he offered to take me with him sometime. I gave him my number and he actually called me a few days later to say he was taking the P-51 up and asked if I wanted to go. Unfortunately, I was in the middle of something at work I couldn't walk away from or I would've been there in a heartbeat! Never heard from him after that, and now it's been 2 years since I've even seen him flying around here. I think he keeps his plane somewhere else now. I may have missed my one and only opportunity to ride in one of the most legendary fighter planes of all time! It's still on my bucket list though...

Last edited:
My daughter loves airplanes, and will tell everyone that her daddy works on them. Love her to pieces.

smile.gif

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Have noticed this lately. Live about 5 miles from the local Class C airport, what I recognized to be an old Beech Queen Air by the straight tail fin was flying over, engines growling nicely in a departure climb making a beautiful music to this aviation buff's ears. Neighborhood kids on their leg push scooters didn't skip a beat nor tilt their heads skyward to watch the source of the wonderful sound.

Sad.

I am surrounded by lots of <5 year olds in my circle of friends and they are the ones with heads up and pointing to each passing plane.

When I was a kid growing up I took for granted these warbirds would be around forever. They were so plentiful back then. Now they are so rare, just to be able to see them still flying is a miracle. I can't imagine how much it costs now days to keep these plane flying. Parts have become so rare, some have to resort to having the parts made. Not only that, but insurance premiums on these things have to astronomical.

There was a pilot who kept his P-51 Mustang at the Lewis University Airport. He had a "Chek" sounding name...his 1st name was Vlad, but I can't remember his last. I saw him doing a preflight on his Mustang one day so I approached him. He was very friendly and I noticed his Mustang was a 2 seater. I asked if he ever took passengers with him when he flies, and he offered to take me with him sometime. I gave him my number and he actually called me a few days later to say he was taking the P-51 up and asked if I wanted to go. Unfortunately, I was in the middle of something at work I couldn't walk away from or I would've been there in a heartbeat! Never heard from him after that, and now it's been 2 years since I've even seen him flying around here. I think he keeps his plane somewhere else now. I may have missed my one and only opportunity to ride in one of the most legendary fighter planes of all time! It's still on my bucket list though...

Great story....but yes, a missed opportunity for sure! You can always pay big money at airshows to ride in one. At least around year you can. It's very expensive...but if that is what thrills a person they should really save up the cash and give it a go before these planes will only be available in museums.

My grandfather had a passion for airplanes, having owned private aircraft his whole life. He taught me the habit of looking up when I saw an airplane, and aircraft ID, when I was very young. Ever since, I've always looked up when I hear an airplane. You never know what you're going to see and be able to ID.

I've since become an A&P mechanic (Embraer) and get to work with airplanes every day.

I've only lived 2 places (Memphis and Nashville), neither of which are big int'l hubs, so I don't get to see many of the long-range aircraft that fascinate me the most.

Recently, in Memphis, I did look up and saw a 747, which is uncommon there (Memphis has a beautiful, but mismanaged airport - it is extremely expensive to fly out of there, so, most airplanes you see there are FedEx - MD-10, 11, Airbus, 767, 777).

TANG did fly C-5s up until a few years ago. Didn't even have to look up to confirm when I heard one of those monsters, though I always did anyway. Very unusual tone to those GE engines, which were the first HBPR engines to go into service. I'd describe it as an industrial, highly harmonic growl.

Recently, the coolest was a B-29, here in Nashville. Also saw a Piaggio Avanti fly over recently. Cool, high-pitched sound.

One of the best sounds is a large-CID, piston aircraft engine. Love that sound!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back