List of new cars with Timing belts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a mix, but many are going with belts due to cost/weight savings.
It stinks, but it's the way the cookie crumbles.
(It also drives business back to stealerships)

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
It's a mix, but many are going with belts due to cost/weight savings.
It stinks, but it's the way the cookie crumbles.
(It also drives business back to stealerships)

Which ones are going back to belts?

Belts are sometimes quieter and with all these new engine designs sometimes they are better.. We see more problems with newer engines that have chains then with belts.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Belts are sometimes quieter and with all these new engine designs sometimes they are better.. We see more problems with newer engines that have chains then with belts.

What type of problems do you see with newer engines that have chains as compared to belts? Is it chain related? or is it volume related with many more engines with timing chains being sold?

It's a little of both but some of the newer vvt designs are not so great thats for sure..

Belts are generally not a problem unless they are not changed when they are supposed to be. A lot of chain driven engines use plastic guides that wear also

We had a 2010 Honda accord in the shop two weeks ago that needed engine work 67,000 miles but im pretty sure it was due to the driver.

I often hear about how timing chains are supposedly noisier, but I've driven luxury cars with timing chains and their engines are quieter than cars with belts. In fact, luxury European makers primarily used chains for many years. Their owners didnt complained about noise? Makes me think the whole noise thing was one of those automotive wives tales perpetuated by car companies whose real motive was to save money

My only gripe with belts are ones that are a total pain to access to change. When I had my S60R I gladly let the Volvo dealer change it.

I do really like the timing belt conversion kits for domestic pushrod V8s.

Honda 4-bangers have a chain while the V6 still uses a t-belt. Nissans use chains IIRC. Chains can usually go 200K+ miles as long as the engine isn't run low on oil.

Last edited:
When you have a chain you need a long, thick cover with 23-odd fasteners to hold the oil in. With a belt you just need a plastic cover to keep fingers out.

As an engine ages, chain covers are yet another place you can get leaks. With belts, you just get one little seal per cam and one for the crank. The type-A among us replace these seals preemptively when they do a belt job.

I had a dodge neon. It had a belt. I changed it twice-- the 2nd time when the head gasket went. It wasn't fun, but it didn't keep me from buying the car in the first place. What's next, a list of cars with drum brakes so we can avoid their slightly more mechanically tricky nature?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
What's next, a list of cars with drum brakes so we can avoid their slightly more mechanically tricky nature?
smile.gif

That's actually step one of researching a car for me.
No drum brakes for me, thank you very much.

BC.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
What's next, a list of cars with drum brakes so we can avoid their slightly more mechanically tricky nature?
smile.gif

That's actually step one of researching a car for me.
No drum brakes for me, thank you very much.

BC.

This +65,000. Personally I look for fixed calipers versus sliding. At minimum front fixed but preferably front and read fixed.

smile.gif

A list of cars without automatic adjusters on the drum brakes would be nice, since it'd imply there were some.

Manual adjusters actually worked. Can't have that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back