New Purolator Oil Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Originally Posted By: steveh
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
I may try one in two years after seeing what their filters became in the last couple of years im not brave enough to use anything purolater made!

I will wait about 2 years after monitoring what people say here on bitog i may buy one and cut it open just to see for myself.... Im also curious what Motorking thinks of their newly painted filters he will know before everyone else and he will say it like it is. At the moment im sticking with fram ultra for the premium filters and for the shop i will stay with Wix
Any opinion from Motorking would be like asking a Chevy salesman what he thought about a new Ford.

Thanks Purolator customer service. Continue to bash Fram while your filters are tearing.
Yawn

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Still waiting for a single report of engine damage.
What does that have to do with ANYTHING? Are you OK with paying for a defective product or one that has shown an undeniable propensity to tear? While you may chose to spend your money that way there are plenty of us who are not. Why is that so difficult to understand?

I am hoping to grab some discounted Purolator Synthetics when the new Boss filters start arriving. It should be interesting to see if Purolator positions these as as a minor incremental vs. major evolutionary change.

The retailers are certainly screaming for the later. Just imagine yourself as a retailer with $$$ millions in inventory of a discontinued product. Luckily for all of us, the trade in Purolator Synthetics was probably pretty thin. The retailers will likely want to rid themselves of these rather quickly. The high volume low end products will move off the shelves by themselves, the OP's post being evidence of that.

Please keep us posted on any discounts you may see.

Still waiting for a report on engine damage?? Im sure there is a lot of wear associated with the crummy quality of that filter but even in my engine shop i so far have seen no major issues that can be directly associated with tearing filters. But really!! Don't you want a quality filter that does not just "fall Apart" on your engine i mean its your money think about it.

Junk is just junk!

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Still waiting for a single report of engine damage.
What does that have to do with ANYTHING? Are you OK with paying for a defective product or one that has shown an undeniable propensity to tear? While you may chose to spend your money that way there are plenty of us who are not. Why is that so difficult to understand?

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Still waiting for a report on engine damage?? Im sure there is a lot of wear associated with the crummy quality of that filter but even in my engine shop i so far have seen no major issues that can be directly associated with tearing filters. But really!! Don't you want a quality filter that does not just "fall Apart" on your engine i mean its your money think about it.

Junk is just junk!

He's just trolling for an argument. Of course anyone in their right mind wouldn't use a defective product if there were dozens of others on the market to choose from instead.

Originally Posted By: Astro_Guy
I am hoping to grab some discounted Purolator Synthetics when the new Boss filters start arriving.

+1

Too bad they got rid of the textured grip on the Boss.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

And that's half the reason I initially went to the Pureones before the tearing thing came up.

Seems like they just wanted a clear tiered offering similar to the FRAM Extra/Tough/Ultra (?). And maybe a new fresh look (?). They've been the same boring white filter forever. Heck, maybe they just got a new marketing guy with a budget!?!? lol

Half the time I ever searched for something from Purolator, I'd get the logistics company website. And I haven't really ever read anything "good" and "groundbreaking" from those clowns.

Originally Posted By: ted s
put most consumer wont search for that

True, but the problem is well known by people who look at oil filters and buy based on feedback on chat boards.

I've really been looking for these filters ever since i heard of the new lines.

I finally spotted a couple at Advanced but only a couple in 2 sizes, neither of which i use.

I took a L14612 out of the box and checked it out, thought it seemed like a quality filter, then i looked at the price, it was like 4.50.....yikes i guess i'm not used to those prices for a lower tier filter but then again it was at advance. I guess if walmart starts to stock them i would hope they be closer priced to the classics but i guess we'll wait and see.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted By: Astro_Guy
I am hoping to grab some discounted Purolator Synthetics when the new Boss filters start arriving.

+1

remember the old Red advance auto brand filters made by purolator with the textured sand grip? I liked those bargain filters.

I haven't been on BITOG in awhile... I'm liking puro's new designs.

is the media any different? Would love to see some cut opens :p

Just figured this out. The Mann ML-XXXX filters that are made in USA by Purolator are apparently obsolete now, or available while stocks last. Most part numbers were obsolete. I did not go through all the part numbers, but the ones I did go through were all obsolete except for one, and that was while stocks last.

I reckon the new filters are replacing not only the old Purolators, but the Mann ML filters too. Or is it possible something different is coming out of the Purolator factory with the Mann label?

The word is out for sure last year when we switched from group 7 which is made by tearolater my filter guy says he hears it all the time..Bottom line is in this day and age with the internet you can't hide from the truth..If you produce junk the word is out...Everywhere!

Not only were they tearing but they would never admit there was a problem and that word is out also as many wont trust them anymore..
I have to say being in the engine business and doing a lot of engines i never had an engine in my shop that needed a rebuild due to a tearing filter as far as i know...Maybe more wear maybe not..

I just picture a bunch of MBAs sitting around a conference table, strategizing on how to boost sales, and phase out the old product line.

It's all marketing.

No thanks. Fram, Mobil-1, or Wix for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back