To change oil or not

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our pt cruiser uses about. A quart every 1500 miles I've tried various oils ect nothing has fixed it. It's basically just the way the pcv system is designed. Instead of changing it should I just add it when it needs it and change the filter every. 5,000 or so? What do you think.

Start adding High Mileage oils and see if that slows it down.
I'd just extend your OCI to 7500 miles, perhaps 10,000 miles with an OCI.

It's what I'm doing right now with my 2002 Ford Taurus with 210k miles on it.
It burns a bit. It just allows me to extend the OCI.

How expensive is the oil that it takes? I'd probably do 5 or 10k oci, changing when it suited my schedule. I would figure, the oil is acruing junk and could use a full exchange from time to time. But since good oil was being tossed in on a regular basis, the oil was never truly "bad".

Odds are, you could do anything and it won't matter, it'll die from something else, or you'll have had enough and trade out of it.

I'd change it and install a good filter (WIX, Baldwin, etc.). I'd put Maxlife 10W-40 in it and see what happens. It might slow down and then you'll know that it happy with Maxlife.

If that works, change it every 7,500 and PT Cruise On
laugh.gif

I've used max life nothing makes a difference the pcv setup literally causes it to suck the oil out of the engine. I've done a lot of research on them lol. I've tried max life Castrol pennzoil mobile defy nothing ever made any difference at all.

FIAT-Chrysler and some other manufacturers consider even up to a quart every 1K miles to be "normal".

I'd try a high mileage oil and maybe a higher viscosity for a few rounds while remembering that the oil still needs to be changed on some kind of schedule. This amount of oil consumption would not mean that you'd just now start adding oil and changing just the oil filter.

I'd also remember this kind of engine performance when looking for my next car. With a bit of research you might be able to better avoid an oil burner on your next purchase. Consumer Reports has published information on this problem that might make for some interesting reading now that you're experiencing the problem yourself.

Try YouTube and enter "consumer reports oil burning" in the search box.

I would try Pennzoil High Mileage. If high mileage oils don't help consumption, I'd top up when needed & change oil & filter completely every 10,000.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
FIAT-Chrysler and some other manufacturers consider even up to a quart every 1K miles to be "normal".

I'd try a high mileage oil and maybe a higher viscosity for a few rounds while remembering that the oil still needs to be changed on some kind of schedule. This amount of oil consumption would not mean that you'd just now start adding oil and changing just the oil filter.

I'd also remember this kind of engine performance when looking for my next car. With a bit of research you might be able to better avoid an oil burner on your next purchase. Consumer Reports has published information on this problem that might make for some interesting reading now that you're experiencing the problem yourself.

Try YouTube and enter "consumer reports oil burning" in the search box.

I new the pt cruisers were known for it. It doesn't bother me and I've done a pcv did an aftermarket one and then a oem.the oem made a difference.
My logic was I've done 3 quarts in 5,000 miles so I've almost replaced it in that interval. Couldn't I just add oil when it needs it and change the filter 4 times a year? Give or take.

My beater gets about 1500 miles/quart. I run it about a pint low, when it gets down a quart and a half, I add a quart. Since It goes around 3500 miles a year, I change the oil every 2 years, more or less. In that time I will have added 3 or 4 quarts of makeup oil. Currently it's getting Peak bogo 10w-30.

If you are replacing 100% of what is the capacity of your system with make up quarts by the time you normally change your oil I would agree with your plan however, I would be tempted to use an extended life filter for convenience. I would use time as my guide for an oil change based upon how dirty the oil looks after 12 months.

If you are burning less say 60% of capacity I would extend your typical OCI by 60% as an example.

Originally Posted By: JBinKC
If you are replacing 100% of what is the capacity of your system with make up quarts by the time you normally change your oil I would agree with your plan however, I would be tempted to use an extended life filter for convenience. I would use time as my guide for an oil change based upon how dirty the oil looks after 12 months.

If you are burning less say 60% of capacity I would extend your typical OCI by 60% as an example.

Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back