That Knife

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am super impressed with that knife.. I have used 100$+ knives but this one certainly works great and is well under 10$.

Love it for prep. Onions, tomatoes for tacos etc.

A few small homemade pizzas were sliced as well.

I am still looking for a 6" or so square end utility style knife I like those much better than a short "paring" knife.

Used one for 10 years cant seem to find one anywhere now.

Originally Posted By: expat
Now let me say. I no financial interest in Kiwi Brand knives, and if people here expect a high quality product (in appearance) they are going to be dissapointed.

They just work very well.

Have one under the tree. We'll see, and thank you...........

Took a little WD-40 to get the glue off the handle and a little 220 grit sanding to smooth it, but the knife feels good and cuts very well.

I picked up one of these Thai 171 knives to push my Amazon cart into free shipping. It's decent and a good knife to teach whoever wants to learn sharpening on wetstones. Out of the packaging it is decently sharp, but needed a hone on a ceramic rod to remove a little bit of burr on one side of the edge.

Something nice to have when friends come over for a dinner party and need to prep something, they can use this instead of my carbon gyuto.

My wife grew up in South East Asia using Kiwi, and Giraffe brands of knives. We were excited to find Kiwi, Giraffe, and Viking brands at an Asian market in Garden Grove, CA., so we bought some.

My favorite is the Viking because the blade is a little thinner than the Kiwi, and Giraffe, so I can get incredible thin cuts of meat and vegetables. My wife likes the Kiwi best. Excellent knives for the price, we haven't used any of the other assorted knives in our kitchen drawer for years. We use a ChefsChoice sharpener which works good.

The knife without the brand sticker is the Giraffe brand. It is stamped on the blade.

IMG_4201_zpsiurgpges.jpg

IMG_4202_zpsg5vjch1r.jpg

Its decent, but doesn't seem to hold an edge as well as a few others in my kitchen collection. Thanks for the suggestion though, my wife loves it. I still prefer a couple others (can't remember brand right now).

I have learned a bit about blade steel through my enthusiasm of pocket knives. When I say "a bit," I mean it. There are hundreds of blade steel compositions. Check out Wikipedia. The majority of cheaper kitchen knives will simply say they are made of "stainless steel" or "high carbon stainless steel." That will usually mean a 420 or 440 variant. These are decent steels, but generally pretty soft. They will take a good edge but will require maintenance to keep the edge. For those of us who are not professional chefs that is fine. When you start getting into knife steels like VG10, or even 12C27 you take a step up in performance and, of course, price.

Part of the maintenance I am talking about is not using glass cutting boards (they are harder than your knife blade and will result in rolling of the edge). Also, avoid washing in the dishwasher. Use sharpening devices that minimize metal removal. Tungsten carbide sharpeners should be used very sparingly. Fine ceramic is good. Really, there are so many ways to go about it's hard to pick the best, but even a cheap knife can be a good performer if it has a good edge and is used properly.

Fortunately, a very sharp edge requires far less downward force to cut, and cuts smoother. Bearing down on glass, ceramic, stoneware, etc. isn't necessary with a sharp edge.

I don't own any fancy, expensive knives. Most are Chicago Cutlery, a few good steak knives, a cleaver and a bread knife. But I know how to get them scary sharp for effortless use. I don't refine the edge near to the degree I do on my woodworking tools, but then again it isn't necessary either. I'm not eating 5/4 Oak!

I have to warn friends that come over to cook, that my knives are very, very sharp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back