New Purolator OIL FILTER LINE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: garageman402
Seems that Purolator has been acquired by Mann+Hummel a few months ago. They say they are now based in Fayetteville, NC.

Explains all the recent changes I guess.

The Mann Hummel acquisition was actually in April 2012.
https://www.linkedin.com/company/purolator-filters-na-llc

I think this new filter line-up has been in the works for awhile. If the tearing problem that was first seen in Mar-Apr 2014 was due to changes after Mann Hummel acquired Purolator, or if the new Purolator filter line-up is a result of the tearing issues and Mann Hummel tackling the issue will never really be known because they have been tight lipped about it all.

Thanks for the link, I had only just read about it, and thought it was more recent. Have heard about the tearing issue too, didn't realize it was after the acquisition.

As far as the tearing issue goes, I have seen pics and I can't figure out how that could happen. The flow rate through the filter is slow speed, because the space and area of the media is so large compared to the small opening the oil comes in from. Much like a wide spot in a creek, fluid flows fast at the narrows, and slows at the wide flat parts. Also flow is from outside to inside, where there is a screen to support the media. The only possible scenario I can think of is manufacturing defect? I.E. they were torn when assembled. Or not priming the filter before starting may produce a "shock" flow through the media causing the tear? The media is never subjected to extreme pressure because the bypass will open before that happens.

I have caught a manufacturing defect before, a Pure One filter that required a bypass valve that I had ordered from Advance Auto did not have one. Advance would replace it, wanted me to pay shipping because it had been too long (I didn't look inside until I was ready to install it). I contacted Purolator, they were very concerned, sent me a Next Day Air shipping kit asking me to send it in. I did, and they sent me a free case of filters for my effort. This was probably 3-4 years ago?

Hmm, I wonder if the ones that are tearing also have a missing bypass valve?

I have a stockpile of Pure One filters for all my vehicles, and I'm not going to dump them just because of this issue. I use Pure One because the filtration rate is so fine, but that will also lead to plugging up faster, so I tend to replace them sooner. At $5-$6 a pop, that's not too bad. As mentioned above, the flow rate through the media is slow, and the area is so large, I don't really think much oil is getting through this tear, if any. The backing screen should prevent the tear from being forced open, based on the pictures I've seen. Also, we don't really know if this is a manufacturing defect (already torn when new), or a result of a "dry start". No body is going to cut open a new filter, I know I'm not.

Like someone said, the round hole baseplate looks the same as before. Also can see the adbv in the hole, same as the old round hole ones. Makes sense as there was nothin wrong with the baseplates. The tears are not just from flow, but high pressure, a river is only flowing by gravity. The tear area is not supported by anything behind. They tore because the media is weak. I bet they have fixed tearing with the new ones, but I will never try their product again. They can put them where the sun don't shine.

As far as the tearing issue goes, I have seen pics and I can't figure out how that could happen. The flow rate through the filter is slow speed, because the space and area of the media is so large compared to the small opening the oil comes in from. Much like a wide spot in a creek, fluid flows fast at the narrows, and slows at the wide flat parts. Also flow is from outside to inside, where there is a screen to support the media. The only possible scenario I can think of is manufacturing defect? I.E. they were torn when assembled. Or not priming the filter before starting may produce a "shock" flow through the media causing the tear? The media is never subjected to extreme pressure because the bypass will open before that happens.

Realize there is delta pressure across the media. If the bypass valve is set to say 12~14 PSI, then the media will see the same delta pressure across it if the delta becomes high enough to open the bypass valve. So what I'm saying is the media in oil filters can certainly be subjected to relatively high force trying to push the media through the center tube.

What happens on the tearing Purolator filters is when the pleat spacing and V-spread of the pleats is large, the force produced by the oil flow and the resulting delta pressure caused the pleats to fold over which tears the media at the root of the pleats where they are bonded to the end caps. Plus many have mentioned that the media is pretty brittle, and can be torn easily if sideways force is put on the pleats. Almost every reported tear with photos showed that kind of tear.

I have a stockpile of Pure One filters for all my vehicles, and I'm not going to dump them just because of this issue. I use Pure One because the filtration rate is so fine, but that will also lead to plugging up faster, so I tend to replace them sooner. At $5-$6 a pop, that's not too bad. As mentioned above, the flow rate through the media is slow, and the area is so large, I don't really think much oil is getting through this tear, if any. The backing screen should prevent the tear from being forced open, based on the pictures I've seen. Also, we don't really know if this is a manufacturing defect (already torn when new), or a result of a "dry start". No body is going to cut open a new filter, I know I'm not.

Some of the reported tears were on filters with low mileage on them (3000 or below - see link below), and were probably in clean engines if the owner was changing oil & filter that often. And of course, if the filter does get loaded up with debris the delta-p across it will increase and that would increase the likelihood of it tearing of the pleat spacing is bad. Also, if the filter is used in extremely cold weather that will put higher delta-p across the media during cold starts.

BTW, the PureOne does not have a backing screen. Some of these tears are pretty wide open (see below), and you can bet unfiltered oil gets through the whole time the filter is being used.

Torn Filters Reported

Other end of the same pleat was also torn like this:

You now have more insight to the issue, but you do what you want.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Realize there is delta pressure across the media. If the bypass valve is set to say 12~14 PSI, then the media will see the same delta pressure across it if the delta becomes high enough to open the bypass valve. So what I'm saying is the media in oil filters can certainly be subjected to relatively high force trying to push the media through the center tube.

What happens on the tearing Purolator filters is when the pleat spacing and V-spread of the pleats is large, the force produced by the oil flow and the resulting delta pressure caused the pleats to fold over which tears the media at the root of the pleats where they are bonded to the end caps. Plus many have mentioned that the media is pretty brittle, and can be torn easily if sideways force is put on the pleats. Almost every reported tear with photos showed that kind of tear.

Some of the reported tears were on filters with low mileage on them (3000 or below - see link below), and were probably in clean engines if the owner was changing oil & filter that often. And of course, if the filter does get loaded up with debris the delta-p across it will increase and that would increase the likelihood of it tearing of the pleat spacing is bad. Also, if the filter is used in extremely cold weather that will put higher delta-p across the media during cold starts.

BTW, the PureOne does not have a backing screen. Some of these tears are pretty wide open (see below), and you can bet unfiltered oil gets through the whole time the filter is being used.

Torn Filters Reported

Other end of the same pleat was also torn like this:

You now have more insight to the issue, but you do what you want.

Thanks for the picture, the one I had seen had a tear parallel to the pleats near the end about an inch long. The filter in that pic was black, very dirty. This pic absolutely shows un-filtered oil passing through. The question is how much? When the oil is cold and thick, the bypass valve is open anyway, The filters with no bypass valve have the valve mounted on the vehicle, and it may be weaker than 12-14 psi. The 3.1L V6 I had in a Camaro had a very weak spring, in fact the little flapper was not seating, and I replaced the mount. Think I read somewhere that it was around 4psi. The PL24011, which I notice is on the list, is the one for that application, and I use it on the 3.4L V6.

I have a few used P1 filters lying around, I'm going to open them up and see. As I mentioned, I change oil and filter very frequently, 1000-1500 miles. We don't drive much anymore and that may be a month or too of slow driving. I have done analyses on many different oils, and the high dollar synthetics offer no more protection than the 5w-30 Chevron Supreme that I get at Costco on coupon for $26.99 per 12 qt. case. The Chevron is shearing around 1500 miles in the 3.6 V6, so it's out by then. The 3.4 can go 2000, but I usually don't let it go more than a couple of months.

I've come to the conclusion that the best thing you can do with oil is change it. There are many particles that will not filter out with regular full flow filters and bypass filtration is expensive and space consuming. Don't like the idea of exposed oil lines either.

Thanks for the pic and the list, very eye opening!!

I overheard the manager at my local AAP talking about the new Puro planogram and when I asked if they had any yet he told me the new Puros are due to hit the shelves and replace the Frams next week.

Not sure if that's already been posted or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back