Cooper CS5 or Michelin Defender?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best deal I've found for Michelin Defender is Costco, about $585 installed with tax. I can install myself Cooper CS5 for about $355 including balancing but have no road hazard warranty

I would be replacing Yokohama Avid Touring S for better winter traction on my wife's car. This is my only non Michelin tire buy in the last 30 years and it just made wish for Michelin instead. So even though the savings is good for the Coopers, I'm hesitant.

Should I get the Premier instead of the Defender? I don't need increased cornering ability over the Defender on this car. Better wet traction and braking and winter performance is most important.

I currently have a set of Michelin Defenders, and used to have a set of Michelin LTX M/S on my truck.

Not impressed with either set, considering how much they cost.

The set of LTX's that I had were so unimpressive, they must have been counterfeit. I took them off at 32,000 miles. Couldn't stand not having any wet/snow traction any longer.

Dont get the defenders.

Id save the $230 and go with the CS5. So you dont have the road hazard, if you need to replace 1 tire your still ahead money wise.

The michelin premier a/s and CS5 is a better tire for winter driving than the defender. Tire rack has the michelin defender as a bad tire for winter driving FWIW.

defender
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Defender&affiliate=FH8

premier a/s
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Premier+A%2FS

Cooper CS5 and General Altimax RT43 would be my recommendations.

While Defenders have, err, their defenders, I hated MXV4's and Primacies in snow. General RT43's though we liked much much better--so much so that I have a tough time believing Defenders are going to be ok. Anyhow... have you cross shopped RT43's, and ruled them out? I bought both sets of RT43's off Discount Tire last year during a sale.

Tirerack emailed me today recommending for the Altima general Altimax RT43's

But we aren't replacing until spring as we use Cooper Weathermaster ST2

Originally Posted By: rsylvstr
Tirerack emailed me today recommending for the Altima general Altimax RT43's

But we aren't replacing until spring as we use Cooper Weathermaster ST2

Buy and store in a corner someplace?

My kids Cavalier with 195/65-15 Cooper CS5s feels confident and smooth. I wish I had them on my Focus instead of the Goodyear Triple Treads. The Triple Treads have amazing traction, but they feel softer and not as confident as the coopers. They are also really loud on bumps. My friend has Defenders on her car and it always feels like the pressure is low, even at the max air pressure.

Last edited:
I love Cooper Tires. My next set will be CS5s for my '08 G5. In my book, Michelins are too low on the value pole...

Save some money and go with the Coopers. I have The General RT43's on one of my cars and other than sporty handling they excel at everything from wet weather to snow.

I'd go with the Cooper tires as a no brainier for the money saved. I have them on my 240D and they are great.

Cooper CS5 Grand Touring T-rated is better on light snow than H-rated and CS5 Ultra Touring.

We don't have snow and temperature is rarely below 30-35F in So Cal, so I had CS5 Ultra Touring W-rated installed on my wife E430 few months ago. It is very good on both wet and dry surfaces(city and highway) and it is quieter than Kumho 4X.

I've always had good service from Coopers, I'd go with them. As mentioned, the savings makes up for no road hazard.

I used to always get Michelin Defenders but for the Crown Vic they were just too expensive, so after reading lots of reviews I got Coopers CS5 tires instead. They handle great and are so much quieter than the Defenders. I'll never buy Defenders again.

Went to buy the Coopers at Blaine's Farm and Fleet and they won't let you cash and carry for the 4 for 3 deal. They have to install and my car is 500 miles away. They don't have tire install appointments until next Friday also.

The Premier A/S is slightly more expensive, has about the same life, but handles better in wet and snowy conditions. We noticed a big improvement over the stock Continentals on our Subaru - no problems in 10-12 in of fresh snow. The Premier's are supposed to maintain wet traction throughout their life. Handling was about the same as the Primacy but better bad weather traction especially in snow on our 2WD Honda.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back