When to put snows on

Status
Not open for further replies.
If things hold out weather-wise, it looks like snows will go on sometime in December for me. It's still too warm. Oh well, it's to be expected in an El Nino winter.

I think mine will be going on this week, as the surprise dusting of snow I woke up to this morning reminded me that I can't actually trust the weather forecast when they say it's not going to snow... I'm going to hate the drive down to CT in 50-something degree weather on Thursday if I throw them on first though.

Amazingly, the drive to work wasn't bad with the summers still on (roads were wet with a few icy patches here and there).

Put one set on Saturday, other set goes on tonight. Looking back through my records, I've always put them on within a 2-3 week period - when the temps are generally under 40 during the day, and the 7 day forecast doesn't hold promise of much warmer.

We are in a strong el nino, (meaning, it should be a mild winter) I'd wait until you get some snow. We got 13 inches in Northern Illinois so mine are one but I'm going to remove them once this melts off towards the end of the week.

Last edited:
Waiting until the snow flies kind of defeats the purpose. They look like a waste of money if they are sitting on the rack when the snow flies (which it has in very limited quantities). Rather swap them over on my schedule, when things are dry and not sloppy.

Probably this weekend Altimax onto the Sequoia. Gotta take the wheels off to do the brakes anyway.

Sonata will wait until more consistent cold or snow forecasted. Blizzaks are mounted on rims and ready. Michelin Primacy MXV4 with at least 9/32" x4 on it currently.

Sequoia does local mileage (2 miles to wifes work) plus school stuff with kids. Sonata is good for 50+ miles/day. I'll try to save the Blizzaks some.

still too early for me. I'm a believer in them being on when there is snow but this weather is crazy it was 63.5F on Thanksgiving.
This weather is why I am a big advocate for All-seasons vs Summer tires for NE OHIO.
If I had summer tires I would have had to put the winter tires on at beginning of november. I have Michelin premier A/S which is certainly adequate for any dusting of snow we might get during the next 10 days. This lets me buy more winter oriented tires and run them a shorter time so they last 4-5 years.

Of course If I had a fun car like a wrx sti I'd have Michelin super sports on it..and a set of fun winter tires as well.

snowweather.jpg

Yeah, it's bugging me: I gave in and spent almost 8 hours doing tire rotations and brake jobs on the two vehicles--including putting on snows. Then driving 200 miles to visit relatives in... 66F weather.
frown.gif

But it was warm and dry as I did all that work. Boy will I be mad if the weather doesn't get cold soon!

With it being in the high 40s and 50s on both of my travel days for Thanksgiving, I ended up leaving the summers on. It looks like I'll swap the snows on soon after getting back to Rochester though. I might be able to make it another week (no snow predicted at the moment), but we'll see.

I don't think I've ever run the summers into December before!

Swapped wheels/tires in both of our vehicles last weekend. It was in the low 50s on Thursday when we drove to Chicago and in high 30s on Friday on our way back. Lots of rain both ways.

DSC_2563.jpg

I usually mount the first couple of weeks of November. But these past few years, especially this one, NY wasn't seeing a lot of snow around this time. It was also getting pretty warm too. I really considered putting the A/S tires back on, but it's back down into the 30s again so the tread won't melt off anymore.

Local weatherman says it is going to be a mild December. I put quite a few miles on the Focus this winter. Was 60 out on Friday. Felt bad.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Local weatherman says it is going to be a mild December. I put quite a few miles on the Focus this winter. Was 60 out on Friday. Felt bad.

That exactly why mine are still sitting inside next to the jack. Looks like I'll probably make it through this week, we'll see what the forecast says after that.

If it's going to stay cold enough, I'll just throw them on over the weekend so I don't have to worry about it later, but if it's going to keep being in the 50s, they're staying off until it's going to actually snow.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Swapped wheels/tires in both of our vehicles last weekend. It was in the low 50s on Thursday when we drove to Chicago and in high 30s on Friday on our way back. Lots of rain both ways.

DSC_2563.jpg

Hey,
Did I have opportunity to test Blizzaks.
Went to las Vegas over Thanxgiving to visit wife's family. Hit that storm that would later hit Midwest in Utah. Nothing bad considering what I saw before in Colorado, but got a feel of tires. GREAT!
Once I hit Vegas, temperatures were i 50's. It impressed me with progress Bridgestone made when it comes to dry and warmer weather. They seem more composed then LM-60 I had on CC and DM-V2 are T and LM-60 were H and designated high performance winter tire.
However, once I was going back I hit blizzard in Rocky Mountains. Pretty much from Eagle just before you start climbing Vail pass to house it was snowing like crazy. I was climbing Vail pass and other passes at speeds of 50-60mph. ABS kicked twice maybe and traction control never.
Overall, better then expected.
However, for what I use car, 235/60 instead of 255/55 would be better, but still much faster then rest of traffic:)

Good to hear you like the Blizzaks.

The Hakkas, despite only being R-rated, handle quite well even in the dry, probably thanks to beefed up sidewalls, since they have XL load rating.

The only downside is a bit of noise, but that's to be expected from a heavy duty winter tire.

Good to hear you like the Blizzaks.

The Hakkas, despite only being R-rated, handle quite well even in the dry, probably thanks to beefed up sidewalls, since they have XL load rating.

The only downside is a bit of noise, but that's to be expected from a heavy duty winter tire.

I think next time I will give it a try to Hakka's R2 and downsize.

The noise with the Hakkas is interesting. Whatever noise they put out is of the perfect frequency to get blocked out in the Jeep, as I can't hear them at all with the windows closed (they're quieter than my summers).

But the first time I drove a friend's Highlander with a set of them on, it took me a few minutes to figure out what the heck the whining noise was (the tires).

One thing to keep in mind is that winter tire test data is fairly objective.

And all these tires have their own..."personality" for lack of a better term.

I have yet to find a Good Brand winter tire I disliked.

Quote:
But the first time I drove a friend's Highlander with a set of them on, it took me a few minutes to figure out what the heck the whining noise was (the tires).

Yeah, the OEM tires on wife's Q5 are very quiet (for now), so it is quite noticeable whenever they get swapped out for the Hakkas. I suspect it may be the squared off tread near the edges - the "slush penetrators" or whatever Nokian calls them, that are supposed to help with stability and avoid slushplaning.

Slush-claws-Nokian-HKPL-R2-R2SUV-720px.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back