Gone to running all filters for two intervals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because a chain of convenience stores where I live were switching ownership a few years ago, and they decided to clean out their old inventory of oils. I got a total of 225 quarts of Mobil 5000 and PYB for less than $1 a qt.

Up to that time, I did run synthetics for 10K.

If a man was selling a car, and he said that he changed the oil filter every other oil change, I would immediately walk away. But that's just me.

Originally Posted By: BigD1

If a man was selling a car, and he said that he changed the oil filter every other oil change, I would immediately walk away. But that's just me.

Feel free to walk away. My cars are very well cared for and I have ZERO trouble selling them, when I choose to. So, you and your "walking away" from my car is absolutely, totally, Irrelevant.

But thats just you.
48.gif

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
This may save more money than going from 30 weight to 20 weight oil and return better long term engine wear results.

Did you see this^^^?

As filters load up somewhat, the cleaning efficiency actually increases.

Also, like I said, the oil looks perfectly clean after the change, AND, once again since you missed it, the filters on the Ford products are very hard to get to.

Its a win-win-win.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
but having the old oil in the filter, is a small 3.5qt sump sufficient for delusion of the old oil?

Smaller the sump, the harder the oil has to work.

My vehicles hold either 5.5 or 6 quarts of oil. The GM and Honda filters are tiny, and won't hold anymore than 0.25 qt., if that. The 820's might hold 0.25-0.5 qts, maybe. In all of them, after the change, the new oil looks perfectly clean, so any left over oil is absolutely negligible.
Tiny filters and extended intervals.....Huh?

I have large hands and especially on the Continental and Marquis, the filter is difficult to get to and remove.
FYI, on your '01 Grand Monkey if you turn the wheels all the way to the right, that moves the pitman arm out of the way and you have much better access to the oil filter.

This applies to all 2002 and earlier CV/GM...in '03 they went to rack and pinion and the oil filter is again blocked.

I would use a Mobil 1 or Fram Ultra for two oil changes up to 15000 miles without any worries at all. Comparing the Wix and Napa Gold filters to the Mobil 1, I would even consider using them for two as well. If I run a filter for two intervals, the second run will be a little shorter.

I would never run a Napa Silver or any other basic filter over 5000 miles. The Silvers I cut open did not look like they could do over 7500 miles at all.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
FYI, on your '01 Grand Monkey if you turn the wheels all the way to the right, that moves the pitman arm out of the way and you have much better access to the oil filter.

Thats a good suggestion, thanks. The reason I don't is because I am not comfortable with wheels turned while up on Rhino Ramps. The landing area at the top of the ramps is pretty narrow, and has a lip around the edge, so I keep everything straight.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Tiny filters and extended intervals.....Huh?

I think you need to address that question to Honda. They say every other interval, as according to their Maintenance Minder.

BTW, a 2X filter interval with the Honda MM would be about 15K total. I am only going 10K.

OneEyeJack said:

Want to buy my used filters? Only run them 5-6k miles!

Penny wise , pound foolish imho.

Originally Posted By: Scum_Frog
I just don't understand running new oil through a dirty old filter.

In the case of the engines I do it on:

Less Mess
Less to Buy
Excellent UOA's

All benefits, no penalties. So why wouldn't I?

Putting fresh oil through a dirty filter is no worse than running it through a dirty oil cooler, dirty oil pan, and a dirty engine.

Unless an engine has some serious issues, there's just nothing to lose, contrary to the people who insinuate I'll be buying a new engine. They should grab a comfortable chair. A real comfortable chair.

Originally Posted By: aircooled
OneEyeJack said:

Want to buy my used filters? Only run them 5-6k miles!

Penny wise , pound foolish imho.

Can you please supply some technical data demonstrating the foolishness of running 2 OCI's on one filter? I have technical data that disagrees.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp

Can you please supply some technical data demonstrating the foolishness of running 2 OCI's on one filter? I have technical data that disagrees.

Good for you! I feel better changing my filters and oil at the same time.
That's all the data I need. (Especially with all the Picts of failing filters here)

I understand the reluctance to do it. For years I thought "no way", too. Then, reasoning and intellect kicks in and reluctance fades. Unless severe usage or extended intervals, 2X is good. Ask Honda!

Look at all the pics posted here through the years, even the cheap ones look good at 10K. Also, many manufactures call for 7500 mile intervals without specifying a premium filter. 10K is only 2500 more miles, so, thats not a stretch at all.

Incidentally, I remember the oil interval "rule" everyone lived by -- change every 3000 miles. Now, thats a joke...

Ya, I'm running a standard Wix filter for a 10K OCI. I'm OK with that.

Like you I got a whole bunch of good name brand conventional and syn blend oil for cheap. Lil less than 200 quarts tho. Somewhere around 150. I continually check for oil deals but I don't buy. Sort of like looking but not touching.
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: aircooled

Good for you! I feel better changing my filters and oil at the same time.
That's all the data I need. (Especially with all the Picts of failing filters here)

So you have none. Ok, thank you.

In the case of the engines I do it on:

Less Mess
Less to Buy
Excellent UOA's

All benefits, no penalties. So why wouldn't I?

If you're among those who worry about pre-filling a new, dry filter with oil, this is also one less dry start that you have to deal with. I am not sure dry starts really matter, though.

Ask Honda? is that the company with lubrication related VTC actuator noise and chain wear?

I've seen plenty of sludged filters that were used for a 'single interval'. I also know of a few engines that can load a filter pretty quickly. Amsoil found this out the hard way with their 25k filter that had plenty of technical data stating it would be good for 25k when it wasn't.

Know your engine family, automaker engine history, and your driving style, when using a filter for twice as long.

How a filter looks is meaningless. How the media flows isn't something you'll get from cutting a filter open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back