What oil for 2011 Camry trans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing strange about poor shift quality when a wrong fluid is used.

Redline now has a DCTF that should work well.

And, as before, MTL is considerably thinner than MT90 and a good starting point.

40c/100c visc

RL MT90
90/15.6 cst

RL MT85 (anyone remember the good ol' days of mixing MTL/MT90)
64.3/12 cst

RL MTL
54.1/10.4 cst

RL DCTF
40.7/8.1 cst

RP Synchromax
39/7.5 cst

BG SyncroShift GL4 75w80 (varies a bit)
33-45/8-9.2 cst Newer bottles are thinner

Amsoil MTF
48.3/9.7

Ford has xt11qdc 34/6.3 cst

Mazda has their GL4 75w80 (skyactiv)
Toyota and online dealers should be able to get the LV 75w.
Ravenol and Pentosin sell a 7.7cst MTF2.
Honda has a pretty good MTF.

And, in Pennzoil/Valvoline/Driven/Swepco/Synmax all have a synchromesh fluid and would be better than a 75w90 when a <SAE80 LV 75w is recommended factory fill.

Hmm, maybe I'll try the Redline MTL next. The MT90 was great in warm weather; the trans wants thicker (or something different than LV), but cold weather the 90 was too thick. I'll order up a couple quarts and try that next.

Looks like 90430-A0003 is used for both drain and fill, for the crush washers (and is used on my Tundra no less). Getting ready to order up various oils.

Put in MTL, will see how it works out. Can feel a difference already--not as smooth, can feel the parts engage. But no grind so far. Will see how it holds up once we see those -10F mornings, and then what it's like come 90F summer days.

IIRC I changed the oil 25k/1yr ago the MT90. What came out was clear fluid, not red like it was going in. I'm hoping the end result of this fluid change is a suitable year-round fluid, but if not, I'm wondering if I needed to change the oil once a year anyhow--going to twice a year is not going to kill the bank.

Got below freezing last night, and the MTL was fine with shifting. Still waiting for -10F, and then 90F, but so far, so good.

Originally Posted By: Marco620
I noticed with redlines GL4 fluids that when I was in 5th that it was lower RPM by about 200 when doing 75mph on turnpike.
Wow, Redline changed the number of teeth on your drive and driven gears in 5th?

RPM = MPH x gear ratio x 336/tire diameter

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back