Price Of Gas.. Really Dropped Today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: kschachn
I saw that pic of yours Quattro Pete, and then noticed this nearby:

IMG_4360.jpg

Should take a picture of the one by my house...2.79 for 89. 2.99 for 93....

Originally Posted By: kschachn
I saw that pic of yours Quattro Pete, and then noticed this nearby:

IMG_4360.jpg

Just nuts. How is this not price gouging?

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Gas stations feel affluent people with vehicles needing premium gas can afford the price difference.

Agree....

87 was down to around $1.95 until this week when it has shot up to $2.05-$2.09+ due to Thanksgiving. Hopefully it heads down now( well, until they spike it again for Christmas ). With crude at literally $40 a barrel gas is still way too high.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
87 was down to around $1.95 until this week when it has shot up to $2.05-$2.09+ due to Thanksgiving. Hopefully it heads down now( well, until they spike it again for Christmas ). With crude at literally $40 a barrel gas is still way too high.

With prices for reg hovering around $2, I'm not complaining no matter low crude prices are...I'll save that for when prices go back to $3+....

Originally Posted By: grampi

With prices for reg hovering around $2, I'm not complaining no matter low crude prices are...I'll save that for when prices go back to $3+....

Oh, they will and more.

I figure it is just a matter of time before isis blows something up that will affect gas prices for a while...

The grand plan to get people used to expensive gas has clearly worked. People are so happy to see gas down at or just below $2 again they don't care that it should be a lot lower. Check the history of gas at the pump when crude is at $40 compared to what it is now with crude at $40.

I am as happy as anyone that gas is at $2 and not $3, $4, $5+ don't misunderstand. However, I also can see we are still being gouged and raped. Why be happy to pay $1 instead of $2 for something that really should cost 50 cents?

The grand plan to get people used to expensive gas has clearly worked. People are so happy to see gas down at or just below $2 again they don't care that it should be a lot lower. Check the history of gas at the pump when crude is at $40 compared to what it is now with crude at $40.

I am as happy as anyone that gas is at $2 and not $3, $4, $5+ don't misunderstand. However, I also can see we are still being gouged and raped. Why be happy to pay $1 instead of $2 for something that really should cost 50 cents?

How can fuel be $0.50 when gasoline taxes are around $0.44/gallon? Also how does a station make profit with tighter reg, along with distribution and refinery?

Originally Posted By: madRiver

How can fuel be $0.50 when gasoline taxes are around $0.44/gallon? Also how does a station make profit with tighter reg, along with distribution and refinery?

I never said fuel should be 50 cents a gallon.

The refinery margin (or crack spread) is relatively insensitive to the price of crude. Currently although there is a huge oversupply of crude the demand for refined products is at an all-time high. Build more refineries and the crack spread would go down.

Right now the margin is somewhere around $0.40. The rest is taxes. Yes, the refineries are making money (which didn't happen for a long time) but that's only part of the final cost of refined products. Like madRiver notes the taxes are huge.

If prices were any lower, it would be tough for anyone in the industry to make any profit at all, however, I don't think prices over $3 are EVER necessary...prices that high or higher indicate there is gouging going on somewhere in the chain...

Last edited:

At $42 a barrel cost of 1 gallon of crude oil alone is $1. You add these costs above crude oil: refining, Federal + State + local taxes, transportation, retail markup, oil company profit ...

You should be glad that the whole crude oil to gasoline system is so efficient that you are paying only $2/gallon now.

If you look at crude oil and then look at gasoline you can see the big difference between the two. Now look at tap water and bottle water, do you see the difference ? What are justifications for less than 1 penny a gallon tap water and more than $1 a gallon bottle water ?

If you think $2/gal is gouging please itemize all costs from crude oil in the ground to gasoline that you buy at gas station. You will see that everyone involved in the industry made very little profit, and they all are very efficient.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back