Ram 1500 manual transmission towing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in the market for a Ram 1500 with a manual transmission circa 2006-2008. The only item I tow is an 18 foot bass boat with a 110hp motor about 8 times a year to the lake (about 45 miles round trip). Does anyone know the tow capacity for a Ram stick shift?

I'd guess the main factor here is the axle ratio. If it got a 3.55 or 3.92, no worries at all. The 3.21 will pull a bass boat fine also, just might have to torture the clutch a little more taking off. I've got 3.92 gears in my Ram and I'm good for 9900 but that's an automatic. The stick might be a little lower because of the finess required to get moving. Maybe somebody out there with stick shift will weigh in.

Originally Posted By: splinter
Ramp work gets a little more fun with three pedals.

Truth! When I was a kid, my dad had a '97 F150 that was a manual. I can still remember sitting in the boat and hearing the parking brake released and watching the truck rock back a few inches before the clutch was engaged. I realize operating on a boat ramp is a bit more tricky, but it's nothing that I can't handle. The lady friend? Guess I need to teach her how to back a boat off a trailer lol. I'm looking for a truck that I can keep for 20-25 years. My plan is to never let the truck see salt or snow and just keep in the garage during the winter. The overall simplicity of the manual transmission and longevity is most appealing to me. Yes, there are automatics that have 250k miles plus on them. However, I've had two automatics in my life that had issues which has made me partial to the manual.

Did they come with the NV4500 in the 1500s? Even if it's only the NV3550 they have a good granny gear. Shouldn't be too much trouble to get it rolling.

I have found (after launching with the Focus) that sticking something behind a wheel to stop it from rolling back helps.

In those years, a 1500 should have a Getrag 238 6 speed, I think. First gear is a little lower than an NV3500 (4.23:1 in the G238), so it should do fine for towing with appropriate rear end gears.

2,900 to 7,800 lbs

for 2006

the 2900 should be the V6 -MT

Last edited:
My 2006 truck has a NV3500 and its first gear ratio is 4.02 - it is hardly a granny gear. This along with a 3.23 rear requires you to slip the clutch a lot when backing up a ramp.

My 1986 F250 had a New Venture 4 speed and that had a real granny gear. A pleasure to drive in the city and great for ticking off people when you just let the truck creep forward in first gear in heavy traffic. These are the folks who apply a lot of throttle to go forward 2 car lengths and then slam on the brakes. It gives me great pleasure to tick them off when they ride 2 feet away from the rear bumper thinking that they are hurrying me along.

It's a granny gear compared to what is in my car. Always feels like starting out in 2nd gear. I like the granny gear in the ZF5/ZF6 transmissions. Can start out on a hill, with a load, without having to give it any throttle.

Originally Posted By: outoforder
I'm in the market for a Ram 1500 with a manual transmission circa 2006-2008. The only item I tow is an 18 foot bass boat with a 110hp motor about 8 times a year to the lake (about 45 miles round trip). Does anyone know the tow capacity for a Ram stick shift?

Specifically, what configuration? It varies rather significantly depending upon engine (V6/V8) and setup (cab, 4x4, etc.).

Originally Posted By: outoforder
However, I've had two automatics in my life that had issues which has made me partial to the manual.

Then step-up to a 3/4-ton truck with an automatic that's designed for towing.

I had an '01 Ram 1500 with a NV3500 and it was rated at 3500#. Had a 3:23 ratio in the rear and did ok on the boat ramp. IMO a Ram 1500 is very reliable, as I didn't have any problems with mine.

I can't imagine needing a 3/4 ton to yank a little bass boat around, heck you can tow that with an E class Mercedes or a Volvo.

I haul around a 4k pound trailer with my Ram 1500 once in awhile and it doesn't seem to really notice it. Can't comment on the manual they don't put them in 1/2 tons anymore.

The biggest limiter with 1/2 tons towing at least up until 2012/14 when all the new models came out were the brakes. To get real truck brakes you had to get a 3/4 ton. Fast forward to today and that is no longer an issue, the manufactures really upgraded the brakes on these trucks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back