Seattle...a family city?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Andrewg,

Is the only part the part about the public park that's riling you up?

What if you can open the possibility that it won't be in a public park, and say tucked away in a clinic next to the homeless shelter and soup kitchen away from your backyard, reducing the hobos and druggies in your parks, what is your take on that plan.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: raytseng
Andrewg,

Is the only part the part about the public park that's riling you up?

What if you can open the possibility that it won't be in a public park, and say tucked away in a clinic next to the homeless shelter and soup kitchen away from your backyard, reducing the hobos and druggies in your parks, what is your take on that plan.

If private groups want to fund the entire cost associated with it...and the visible/physical impact on the community is zero (such as in a designated indoor building away from commonly visited areas of the city paid and provided for by a private group)...AND the local police are not asked to ignore enforcing the laws in place.....then I would be fine with it. I would not agree with it....but without effecting me or the community in any real negative way...I couldn't care less.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Lots of cities want to buy their homeless drug addicts a one way bus ticket 200 miles away.

I would prefer a very large rocket ship.

Never mind about my idea to go downtown this holiday weekend. I was considering it to take some photos to show the disgraceful shape of the city with garbage, filth, junkies...and homeless.

I just heard that a "Black Lives Matter" protest will be taking place. Great for the holiday shoppers and businesses. Another wonderful Seattle protest. So no....I won't be anywhere near that horrid place.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian

IMO.....The 'Emerald City'.....has lost its luster. Without Microsoft and Boeing (who pulled out its headquarters years ago)....Seattle would be another Detroit. With is liberal government policies, disaster is just around the corner propergating all these stupid ideas.

Fortunately that IS just your opinion--it's certainly not based on any facts or evidence. Boeing and MS are certainly important to the local economy, but in the grand scheme of things they don't contribute anywhere near to the degree that you suggest. The economy is far more diverse than you realize.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Lots of cities want to buy their homeless drug addicts a one way bus ticket 200 miles away.

That's a nice sentiment, but it's not a plan. I'd rather see folks deal with the problem rather than pretend it doesn't exist or offer metaphorical solutions to real problems.

Originally Posted By: JOD
Originally Posted By: Oregoonian

IMO.....The 'Emerald City'.....has lost its luster. Without Microsoft and Boeing (who pulled out its headquarters years ago)....Seattle would be another Detroit. With is liberal government policies, disaster is just around the corner propergating all these stupid ideas.

Fortunately that IS just your opinion--it's certainly not based on any facts or evidence. Boeing and MS are certainly important to the local economy, but in the grand scheme of things they don't contribute anywhere near to the degree that you suggest. The economy is far more diverse than you realize.

That's a nice sentiment, but it's not a plan. I'd rather see folks deal with the problem rather than pretend it doesn't exist or offer metaphorical solutions to real problems.

Just a joke JOD....by the way...head to Westlake this Friday and enjoy that BLM protest. Heck...bring the whole family!!

Originally Posted By: JOD
Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
I think it's presumptuous that social planners who open "shooting gallery" sites think that they'll resolve this issue by x degree in doing this..

It's not really "presumptuous" when all the available information demonstrates that it's more effective from a public health and safety standpoint: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supervised_injection_site#Evaluations

I see a lot of complaining about it, not much in the way of constructive ideas. Draconian policing of drug use and offenses simply doesn't work. Anyone who believes otherwise simply has his or her head in the sand and just acting from an emotional perspective, not a rational one.

My take is that it would be presumptuous if it's coming with a particular expectation that doesn't make it an effective use of funds because only 20% of addicts in the area end up using this "service". Meanwhile, there's still needles on the street and tweakers are breaking into cars to steal pennies from the ash tray or the shiny quarter that's sitting on the console. That part hasn't changed. I'm not sold on the idea that this would be something that would be particularly transformative.

On the free bus ticket to 'somewhere else' post=we had that happen some years ago as folks arrived in the Twin Cities seeking the higher social services funds available here-haven't heard of anything recently.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: javacontour
Technically, so is alcohol. It just takes a lot more to kill you.

Drugs are poison.
Kids die from alcohol poisoning every new class year at the local college.

and guess who have the deepest pockets and oppose legal marijuana? Beer/liquor companies.

Their drugs are bad. Ours are good.
hillary and Bernie. White as Seattle

Really not surprising to me. There are way too many young people out there who were given birth by parents who didn't want them, never taught them anything or raised them properly. Many are lost and then turn to drugs as a coping mechanism. The dying of the American family is responsible for most of the major issues plaguing this country. No politician from either side of the cloth can fix this.

Unless this country re-establishes strong families, communities, faith and a strong sense of self worth and meaning the race toward the bottom of the toilet bowl will continue. Raising your child does not consist of simply handing them an iPad or a cellphone. It consist of being a mother and father to your child and investing in them. Too many children's "father" contribution was no more than the act of conceiving a child.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GMFan
Really not surprising to me. There are way too many young people out there who were given birth by parents who didn't want them, never taught them anything or raised them properly. Many are lost and then turn to drugs as a coping mechanism. The dying of the American family is responsible for most of the major issues plaguing this country. No politician from either side of the cloth can fix this.

Unless this country re-establishes strong families, communities, faith and a strong sense of self worth and meaning the race toward the bottom of the toilet bowl will continue. Raising your child does not consist of simply handing them an iPad or a cellphone. It consist of being a mother and father to your child and investing in them. Too many children's "father" contribution was no more than the act of conceiving a child.

A lot of truth in this post.

Originally Posted By: GMFan

A lot of truth in this post.

+1 ... society seems to always continually down grade itself as time goes on. Checkout the movie "Idiocracy" sometime. Could be a glimpse into the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back