Hooking up Icemaker

Status
Not open for further replies.
We went out today and stimulated the local economy.
Mrs. Tdbo got a new couch with 2 chairs and 2 ottomans for the family room (seriously needed.)
I ended up ordering a new frost free freezer with a built in icemaker.

Now for the plumbing question. I have hooked up icemakers before using a saddle valve in a copper line. I could do this if I ran tubing across the basement. However directly above where the old freezer is and the new one will go, is a 1/2 inch PVC cold water line. Is it possible to tap into this line using a saddle valve? If not the saddle valve, how does one tap into PVC to hook up the icemaker?

Looked this up on line and can't really seem to find a straight answer.
Any help is appreciated.

One way would be to cut, and install( glue) a T in the pvc line, then glue a threaded male 1/2 end onto the T. Screw on a 1/2 to 1/4 od compession fitting valve.

I'd not use the saddle valve for pvc, i don't know why, but i just wouldn't.

Might take a bit to get the air out.

Last edited:
I watched a YouTube recently in which a professional plumber had unkind things to say about saddle valves... except for the boat payments he could make from the work he got when they failed. Be sure to install a carbon filter in the line to keep the ice maker from clogging AND to make the ice taste right.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
I watched a YouTube recently in which a professional plumber had unkind things to say about saddle valves...

I never liked them either.

Self tapping is self leaking.

Won't meet code.

Do it once and do it right, use a ball valve.

Is it CPVC or PEX? Either way it should be pretty easy to DIY a proper valve in place.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
One way would be to cut, and install( glue) a T in the pvc line, then glue a threaded male 1/2 end onto the T. Screw on a 1/2 to 1/4 od compession fitting valve.

I'd not use the saddle valve for pvc, i don't know why, but i just wouldn't.

Might take a bit to get the air out.

This, and add a ball valve.

Saddle valves won't pass code in MA. I know they make a copper Tee with a 1/4 " male . Put a compression ferrule on the 1/4" copper and done. I always put a shut off in.

Last edited:
Tdbo, I've never seen a saddle used on PVC. I'd cut in a tee and reduce down to 1/4" with the appropriate bushings, with a shut-off.

Either way, I hope your ice maker hookup goes better than mine did a while back. I used one of those pre-made braided jacket ice maker lines. Apparently the previous owner of my home had an ice maker because there was a saddle valve installed below in the basement. Before I messed with the saddle valve I figured I'd close my main shut-off gate valve that was a few feet away. Closed the main shut off, which started leaking externally due to a stripped packing nut that I didn't know I had... Long story short, my municipal water company had to dig a hole in my driveway and install a new curb shut-off since they couldn't locate the original. Once that was set and done, I had a plumber close my new curb shut-off and put a nice new ball valve in place for my main shut off. Darn ice maker.

Moral of the story, check your main shut-off before you start.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Is it CPVC or PEX? Either way it should be pretty easy to DIY a proper valve in place.

It is CPVC.

I'm picturing now what everyone is saying. Should not be too difficult.
I have been involved in 2 ice maker hookups. The second one I did myself using a saddle valve because I learned how to do it from a plumber that I paid to install one in my parent's home when I purchased an automatic ice maker for them as a Christmas present in 1982.
The status of saddle valves must be a relatively recent phenomenon. When I was searching on line prior to posting, saddle valves are generally frowned upon, although they are still sold. Reviews from vendors of them are a mixed bag as well.
I now own the home that has had one installed since 1982. I have touched it 3X's since 1993, at times that I have had to turn it off to swap out refrigerators when they died. Hopefully, I got one of the good ones.
Thanks for the help everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back