Fram TG16 cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: splinter
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
That's why I was asking if the oil pressure sensor was before or after the oil filter. If it is before the filter, then a lower oil pressure would indicate a more free flowing filter.

If the sensor is after the filter, the oil pressure (especially at idle) shouldn't change with a slightly more restrictive filter if the engine has a positive displacement oil pump in good condition.

What did you determine as it relates to our OP's post?

Can't determine anything about his oil pressure comments unless the location of the oil pressure sensor is known (before or after the oil filter). And if this engine has a good old fashioned positive displacement oil pump (which I assume it does).

The previous Bosch filter was made by Purolator, I'm sure it had EXCELLENT flow
grin2.gif

According to the dealer, the oil pressure sensor is after the filter on the 93 4.0. I do suspect the sensor or pump could be failing though. Yesterday I drove it to run errands and noticed the gauge behaved different. The oil pressure was steady at 30psi when I started it and stayed there while I warmed it up for 10 min. While driving it was at 60psi. While idling at the first few lights it wend back to 30. It stayed at 60 for the 20 mile freeway drive. After the freeway run the pressure was at 20 at idle. Accelerating from a stop, it shot to 75 and back to 60 really fast. Revving the engine in park, it went past 80 and back to 60 then idled at 20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back