0w-40 castrol suitable for 2010 Titan in cold NY

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2010 Titan with 80,000 miles and I want to switch from pyb 5w30 to a good synthetic. I was looking at castrol 0w-40. I live in cold a.. Upstate NY and want good start up flow. Mostly highway driving but occasionally get stuck in the city traffic. I drive that 5.6 very spirited. I've seen on here that 0w-40 performs very well in these engines. Suggestions please

I don't think there's a need for anything that thick unless you're trying to fix a problem. But, it won't hurt anything either.

Mobil 1 0w-30 if cold weather performance is what you're looking for.

The 5.6 is notorious for being hard on oil. I want something that is very shear stable. I've run mobil 1 5w30 before, but the engine became noticeably louder.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jdavis
0w-40 whether Castrol or M1 would be a good fit.

Give it a try. My personal preference would be M1 over Castrol. What oil filter are you using?

Last edited:
I will be running Fram ultra. I am leaning towards castrol because I have read on here that it doesn't shear down like Mobil.

Originally Posted By: RightWinger
The 5.6 is notorious for being hard on oil.

I have a 07 Titan. Change oil every 5K - always. Use any old conventional name brand oil for years and Purolator classic before I read about them here
shocked.gif

Nary a problem. Also 80K miles. I just use mostly conventional 5W30 but my winters here aren't very cold (maybe 25F for the low). Using standard Wix filter now.

I have run 10W40 Castrol GTX SynBlend a few times. Noticed nothing different other than slightly reduced fuel mileage.

Last edited:
The 0W-40 would work well, but why not just go with a synthetic 5W-30. Or even Mobil 1 AFE 0W-30? A synthetic 5W-30 will be more than fine for cold temps.

I ran Mobil1 0w40 in the wifes 3.5 Quest last winter, it cranked over fine and the oil pressure light went off instantly.

I am in one of the coldest and snowiest parts of northern NY, so I think you will be fine.

Last edited:
Ow30 vs 0w40 is the same at cold startup. The operating temp viscosity is different. Class dismissed.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Ow30 vs 0w40 is the same at cold startup. The operating temp viscosity is different. Class dismissed.

I don't get quite get this, grab a jug of M1 0w30 and 0w40, shaking it around they do not seem the same. Pouring doesn't seem the same.

Watertown... Ahh yeah. What a 120 to 180 inches of snowfall a year?? Maybe more?? Amazing to me. Only south Buffalo and Dunkirk can compete with your area on snow.
So I would take your advice very seriously everyday and twice on Sunday
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Warstud

No, they just both meet the requirements for the 0w-xx designation, they are not the same. One could have a CCS of 6,100cP the other a CCS of 5,400cP. Obviously quite different. The other could have an MRV of 13,200cP and the other 30,000cP, again, obviously quite different.

Thanks for all the responses! I'm now considering pp 5w30 for my Titan along with the Castrol 0w-40. What would be your choice for my truck between these two? Sorry, 0w-30 isn't available at my WM.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RightWinger
Thanks for all the responses! I'm now considering pp 5w30 for my Titan along with the Castrol 0w-40. What would be your choice for my truck between these two? Sorry, 0w-30 isn't available at my WM.

The Quaker State Ultimate Durability looks pretty good from the chart that lubricatosaurus posted. Viscosity at -30 is 4184. Wal mart usually has that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back