Struggling with 2003 Camry last night

Status
Not open for further replies.
Come on E20; we are 110% sure that there is no way on this God's earth you will be replacing that water-pump by yourself. I have a sneaking suspicion that you know that too but you are just playing us along.

Anybody who has enough smarts to register here and post well formed posts like yourself is definitely shrewd enough to know his own limitations.

Open challenge to readership; please raise your hand if E20 will be able to finish this job by himself. Please note that I did NOT ask if you want E20 to tackle this job. That would be different answer :)

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Open challenge to readership; please raise your hand if E20 will be able to finish this job by himself. Please note that I did NOT ask if you want E20 to tackle this job. That would be different answer :)

Nope, I predict that he will ask how long he can put off this repair until some date in the future when he will ask us if he really needs to do this job, or will his engine seize if it fully runs out of coolant.

You know, just like his thread on the ball joints.

The funny thing is that I believe Joseph/GHT/Rachetgrinder could have, and would have actually attempted, and maybe even succeeded in doing either the ball joints or water pump replacement by now.

My God, GHT is actually a better mechanic than someone else on this forum.
Must go buy a lotto ticket, now.

BC.

Originally Posted By: Yup
[/quote] What's a Toyota clerk know about Lexus parts. Look closely at the wheel, the size, including width, ought to be stamped near the hub.

You're joking, right? Probably the same thing a Honda clerk knows about Acura parts...or a Chevy clerk knows about GM parts...or a Ford clerk used to know about Mazda parts...or a Nissan clerk knows about Infiniti parts... [/quote] Or what a Porsche parts department DIDN'T know or wouldn't admit what could be had from a VW dealer for a 914 with a VW engine in it, when THEY were out of stock. (Since I happen to know Toyota products, and have Lexus brakes on one of my Camrys, I use Rock Auto to cross reference part numbers instead of getting blank states.) The Porsche white coat droid was willing to let the guy I was helping WALK rather than suggest a VW valve seal would fit a VW engine used in a "Porsche". THAT'S what I mean, Sparkey. The WV dealer was happy to sell us a set for the pancake motor.

Last edited:
I'm going to make an attempt at the water pump/serp belt next weekend. If it fails, again, I'm not trolling and my camry is just in need of some work.

Originally Posted By: engineer20
I'm going to make an attempt at the water pump/serp belt next weekend. If it fails, again, I'm not trolling and my camry is just in need of some work.

While you have the engine removed to replace the WP, you would be way ahead if you take this opportunity to replace the rear main oil seal. Also take this opportunity to inspect the engine and transmission mounts as the rubber deteriorates quickly and most likely yours are bad which is probably what caused the WP to fail and put extra strain on the alternator causing your serpentine belt to stretch. Everything is related. Good-luck.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Ok, jokes aside, I need serious help. I'm not trolling, you guys are, with the "exhaust" and "knibbler" and "blinker fluid"
LOL what? blinker fluid, hahaha, that's real funny. not.
but seriously, was that a good brand and is buying an aisin pump from amazon a good idea?

No, get a pump from the dealer or an online toyota parts retailer. The factory pump has been updated multiple times so it's quite likely that the Aisin aftermarket part is not the latest version.

Toyotapartsdeals has the factory pump for about $110.

Also, this Toyota tech put together a really good DIY on how to do the pump. It certainly is not an easy job for a beginner:

http://youtu.be/6OrSD2neBbs

I'll add one thing to the video; I don't like the idea of grabbing the pulley with channel locks. You can crack those pulley bolts loose before you do anything else. The belt will hold the pulley in place.

Last edited:
engineer20 said:
I googled "blinker fluid" just to verify it doesn't exist, I thought so, it was a joke, but I ran into this. This was pretty funny, but, seriously, is RTV on the aisin better than using a gasket, and can I buy the gasket seperately? I see the auto parts store water pumps come with a gasket, but is the gasket ever sold seperately? I heard don't use the gasket with the RTV, choose one or the other but the aisin oem one doesn't use a gasket but rather rtv, but you could use a gasket on it if you wanted, i heard, or is that not right, or else it won't fit? thanks

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/fY3CJQ/

it's halftime in the 'bama game, so I'm killing some time, and looking at this thread.
you googled "blinker fluid" ? lol. wow.anyone that does this should NOT be attempting any repairs with this degree of difficulty.serious injury is very possible/likely.
and you wonder why people are calling you a troll.

when 'prone reads this, he'll be lol.
have a good night, all.

Hard to believe some people can get a drivers license, let alone work on a car. Knowing something about cars, should be a requirement to even drive one. I would hope my pilot knew about the plane he was flying.

@traction, don't be making fun of me, it's how we grew up, I didn't grow up in an environment where my parents knew anything or taught me anything about fixing cars, nor did I learn at school because they don't teach you jack squat about fixing cars in school, so I never learned, but now, I'm learning

I looked at some youtube water pump videos, it doesn't seem that hard, but is a little more involved than replacing the starter which I did successfully a few months ago, but it's not in an obscure place or anything, but now, what I'm confused about is the serp belt. Also, everybody was mentioning the aisin, so I'll get the aisin, and on amazon, it's really cheap for only 60 some dollars

http://www.amazon.com/Aisin-WPT-801-Engine-Water-Pump/dp/B00829I3LO/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

Is this the right one? The aisin wpt 801? And for the belt, the dealer told me they don't know (I call [censored], or somebody doesn't know how to do their job right) and said it could be a gates or a bando, and oreilly uses gates, but I heard gates isn't good, so should I get a bando one? I think Napa had some oem brand too, I can't remmber if it was bando or not, but bando is the better brand, right?

I'm just a little confued about the belt part and don't want to put that on incorrectly, but the water pump removal deson't seem taht bad, though in one video it said one of the bolts was 8mm, i have a socket set from 10 to 19 mm, and I bought a 21 mm socket for my camry wheel (so I can remove it with a breaker bar the) the other day, but are there any sizes of sockets not in my range that I need such as 8mm, or anything larger (i think not, maybe smaller is the issue). thanks.

Also, I changed my oil filter yesterday, it was stuck and hard, but I used the oil filter wrench (the pliers kind, not the strap), and I didn't need to use a screwdrvier as the person at oreilly's said I could use as a last resort, and twisted it really hard so that was good. Since the other car is a taurus that takes a fl400s filter, and people have told me the fl400s motorcraft works on the 03 camry, I used it as it's larger than the normal camry filter, and is an oversized one. This is ok, right, being oversized? is an oversized filter better since it can trap more particles, or not necessarily, and it shoulnd't leak as long as the threads are the same, which apparently they are, correct? Thanks.

I also tried using the breaker bar with a 17 mm socket to loosen the ball joint bolt, but it didn't work and I sprayed pb blaster on it too and it didn't work.

But for right now, I'll do the serp/water pump and do the ball joint next.

Originally Posted By: artbuc

While you have the engine removed to replace the WP, you would be way ahead if you take this opportunity to replace the rear main oil seal. Also take this opportunity to inspect the engine and transmission mounts as the rubber deteriorates quickly and most likely yours are bad which is probably what caused the WP to fail and put extra strain on the alternator causing your serpentine belt to stretch. Everything is related. Good-luck.

Will do. thanks for this piece of advice. Do you have any pictures of the mounts/diagrams? Thanks. And any tips on the serpentine belt? And the pulleys for the belts, they look rusty, what should I do with that? Do I wipe them or clean them, and what would I clean them with? I know a microfiber cloth is ok, but what chemical? windex? dish soap and water, etc? Should I saok them in rust remover or rust reformer? Or should I replace the pulleys, since I see the serpentine belt (current) has those rust stains on it as well and you can see the brownish/orange color on the belt, or are the rusty pulleys ok? As for the leak at the bottom, I heard from the video to use brake parts cleaner, right? To clean up the leaked fluid, etc? Thanks.

And what brand mounts are good? Anchor, etc? What's the oem for the mounts?

yes the long taurus filter fits camrys threadwise. Just make sure physical hazards don't get it, like dragging it on the ground or a parking curb.

What's a good brand for a camry pcv valve, and who's the oem for it? Would getting it from the dealer be godo? How's the fram pcv valve or the microgard at oreilly, or other brands? azone used to have stp pcv but now it's an azone filter brand. what about the napa pcv valve? Thanks.

IF you are not a troll, I will again recommend this as the best course of action for you, and your cars:

Become a better computer engineer, so that you can make enough money to pay someone else to work on your cars. Your time would be better spent increasing your skills, as they relate to your actual career. Its quite obvious that shadetree mechanic is not one of your skills. Although internet trolling might be.

Seriously.

What's a good brand for a camry pcv valve, and who's the oem for it? Would getting it from the dealer be godo? How's the fram pcv valve or the microgard at oreilly, or other brands? azone used to have stp pcv but now it's an azone filter brand. what about the napa pcv valve? Thanks.

There are 4 pages with photos and advice on this at Toyotanation....where you posted the same question.
It's rude not to READ what others have taken the time to do for you.

Last edited:
You worry too much about brand. It really doesn't matter that much. As long as you aren't buying the cheapest Chinese parts on eBay then you're fine.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
He has yet to verify the drip. Somebody showed him a crusted spot on his car.

Put a cardboard under and see if it is dripping. Run the car for 15 minutes and check the cardboard. Find out if you are losing any anti-freeze.

So I just ordered a Bando belt from Napa, 23 dollars, claims it's OEM. Apparently, it's that or Gates, which the parts store have, but I decided on Bando.

Autozone has Dayco belts, are those any good? Those are the kind that are more expensive than Duralast, and the parts store house brands such as carquest, etc at the parts stores, with a similar price to the Bando, is Dayco also oem quality?

The Bando is cheaper than Gates, and I heard is better than the Gates, so I made the right choice, right? I also heard goodyear belts were good and the brand from Continental also makes good belts, how about michelin belts? Thanks.

Originally Posted By: KitaCam
It's rude not to READ what others have taken the time to do for you.

That's why I stopped responding to engineer20's endless run-on questions. It's obvious he's not actually reading or following anybody's advice.

I question what kind of "computer engineer" engineer20 really is. A true engineer is methodical and detail-oriented, well-used to thinking things through carefully. Engineer20 appears to be none of those things.

A halfway decent computer engineer should make enough $ to not worry about car problems also.

e20 obviously has ADD/ADHD or other issues. Or is a great troll. Trolls do very well by not acknowledging any posts that go against their agenda. e20 does this very well.

Off kilter or a troll. Either way, is there a difference to us?

One hallmark sign I've noticed about trolls is they totally ignore a reasonable answer and respond to it with another ridiculous question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back