Auto painter say don't use this grease or lube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
But everyone does. Auto painters say never spray silicone lube anywhere near a car, that is if it is ever going to need to be painted. Just a heads up. It seems a lot of people have a fascination with using the product on their cars and trucks.

It's a real pain to get off, however if your planning a bare metal respray it doesn't make a difference because they'll DA all the silicone, clear, colour and base off.

Only an issue if you want to touch up small areas of damage, but ultimately, Carnuba>Silicone.

Don't get what the big deal is, if it's getting repainted, acetone will take silicone right off! ..and a good prepped goes down to metal if he is worth his salt.

Real pain in home windows and such with painted metal siding, they just slathered silicone all over it. You have to use CRL Silicone Remover and Surface Preparation spray or equivalent. Lots of elbow grease.

Last edited:
Being an ex-auto painter (30 some years ago)I can understand why they say that. Fisheyes are a pain. I preferred getting cars in prior to them being run through dealer clean up shops where they slathered silicone all over everything to make it look better. If you are not careful one of these silicone queens can cause issues in the entire shop through cross contamination. Solvents do not make the silicone disappear into thin air, it does cut it, and spreads it around.

Originally Posted By: JetStar
Being an ex-auto painter (30 some years ago)I can understand why they say that. Fisheyes are a pain. I preferred getting cars in prior to them being run through dealer clean up shops where they slathered silicone all over everything to make it look better. If you are not careful one of these silicone queens can cause issues in the entire shop through cross contamination. Solvents do not make the silicone disappear into thin air, it does cut it, and spreads it around.

We suspect that occasionally we would get silicone contaminated rags from our cleaning service. That stuff is really hard to get out of a rag or towel.

Originally Posted By: JetStar

Nice to get a post from someone that knows what he is talking about.....doesn't happen often on the net.

I don't use silicone to beautify. It is a great release agent for weatherstripping. Doors open easily regardless of temp. If you have a sticking emergency door or hatch in the summer due to weatherstripping the state patrol will get grumpy. Ice no longer freezes them up either. Also used to lube metal on metal window sliders. Silicone spray is used as its both clear and greaseless.. it don't get on clothes. It is very difficult to remove once it has been applied.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back