when the cold war was pretty Warm

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found this video interesting.

And to think it was just 30 odd years ago!

I wonder what the world will be like in another 30?

Mods: I do my best to embed this video from the full reply screen, and selecting YouTube video, but it refuses to embed
21.gif

were you embedding a link that was sent in an email or something ?

I went there and the address was quite a bit different to yours when it kicked in...

I have a Tablet, so I saved the youtube video as a memo, then copied and pasted the memo to the youtube icon on the Full Reply screen
confused2.gif

Is there another way?

Regardless, I found the video interesting. Amazing Dyer was able to interview the Soviet military.

Hans Helmut Kirst wrote about the last days of europe, where a simple unrest in East-Germany develops into a full scale nuclear war in a week.

Keiner kommt davon, 1957 (literal translation: No one comes from there)

Although the fighting is not likely to start in Germany now, anyconflict between NATO and Russia has no choice but to end with total annihilation of both sides, as explained again in the video above.

I'm amazed the Ukraine and Georgian conflict hasn't escalated. Maybe because Russia didn't press a total victory, forcing the opposition to use nuclear weapons.

EDIT: seems the former soviet states didn't keep any nuclear weapons, they remained under control of Russia

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jetronic
Hans Helmut Kirst wrote about the last days of europe, where a simple unrest in East-Germany develops into a full scale nuclear war in a week.

Keiner kommt davon, 1957 (literal translation: No one comes from there)

Although the fighting is not likely to start in Germany now, anyconflict between NATO and Russia has no choice but to end with total annihilation of both sides, as explained again in the video above.

I'm amazed the Ukraine and Georgian conflict hasn't escalated. Maybe because Russia didn't press a total victory, forcing the opposition to use nuclear weapons.

EDIT: seems the former soviet states didn't keep any nuclear weapons, they remained under control of Russia

Well...mostly under the control of Russia...mostly...a few hundred were unaccounted for when all was said and done...

tin foil hat time.... there are no unaccounted nuclear weapons, or there would have been some used or found by now.

Didn't the US lose 50 bombs aswell? B-52 accidents etc...

We've lost far fewer than that. If you're talking about intact nuclear weapons, not test articles, training rounds, or weapons without a core, all of which count as nuclear incidents, but aren't lost weapons. A weapon has to be complete to work, so a lost training round isn't the same thing.

Airplanes have crashed with a nuclear weapon, but the weapon was recovered. That's not a loss.

The number of lost US weapons is very few. They were lost when the airplane (or sub) carrying them crashed (or sank).

In 1956, a B-47 crashed over the Mediterranean. The crew, airplane, and weapon were never recovered.

In 1957, a cargo plane jettisoned two nuclear weapons over the Atlantic. They were never recovered.

In 1958, a B-47 jettisoned a nuclear weapon over the Atlantic following a mid air collision. The weapon was never recovered, though groups have claimed that they found it.

In 1959, a Navy Patrol plane was lost carrying a nuclear depth charge. It was not recovered.

In 1965, the Navy lost an A-4 Skyhawk, loaded with a nuclear weapon.

The submarine USS Scorpion was lost in 1968, while carrying two nuclear weapons. The sub was found at a depth of 10,000 feet, but neither the weapons nor the sub were recovered.

Eight total U.S. weapons lost and not recovered in six incidents. The location of the Thresher is known, so while not lost, they're unrecovered...

Now, the total of US weapons damaged, etc. is much higher, but we are talking lost. None lost in the last 47 years. If you add up all the crashes and incidents where the bomb was recovered, the total might be closer to 50. But the number lost is pretty low.

Now, the consensus on the precise number of Russian nukes that remain unaccounted for varies. Numbers in the hundreds have been claimed by Russian officials, and that number has been denied by other Russian officials. This all surfaced in the 90s, after the fall of the Soviet Union. The Russians claim that they didn't lose any, but that their records are "incomplete"... So, how would they know?

At the time, Vice President Al Gore was on the case...but his inquiry never turned up anything conclusive...not publicly. Big weapons weren't the issue...smaller, more compact weapons that the Russians had built, so called "suitcase bombs", were unaccounted for.

They remain unaccounted for.

tin foil hat time.... there are no unaccounted nuclear weapons, or there would have been some used or found by now.

Didn't the US lose 50 bombs aswell? B-52 accidents etc...
How about eight or less, all in the ocean.

Last edited:
In the video, they talk about congestion and confusion of airtraffic over the battle area.
Made me think about what has happened recently.

Was there not an American nuke lost over Greenland?

Originally Posted By: expat
In the video, they talk about congestion and confusion of airtraffic over the battle area.
Made me think about what has happened recently.

Was there not an American nuke lost over Greenland?

The B-52 crashed near Thule. The weapons were recovered. Upset the Danish though...they're "nuclear free"... But the bomber had an inflight emergency and was attempting an emergency landing while carrying nukes...they almost made it...but ended up 7 miles short of the runway.

Ukraine might be regretting handing them over, as we speak now. They did have control of them before and opted not to keep them.

Originally Posted By: Garak

Ukraine might be regretting handing them over, as we speak now. They did have control of them before and opted not to keep them.

The current president apparently wants Ukraine to stay nuke free...

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I just got through watching all 7 parts of Gwynne Dyer's series. Took me two nights.

What do you think?

Dyer certainly has credentials.

Originally Posted By: expat
What do you think?

Dyer certainly has credentials.

Excellent videos and that Dyer has a good voice that's easy to listen to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back