Filter not to buy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a used van. Checked the air filter and I found this very poor filter. The ends of almost all the pleats have sprung open. The part number suggests it's made by "MFilter".

That's not only a Ukrainian filter, it's also an obsolete Ukrainian filter that has been superseded. That thing is supposed to be in diesel heavy equipment.

How did an old Ukrainian heavy equipment filter end up in that van?

Mold spots make it clear it's been wet before.

The printing says it replaces a CA3660 which is a fram filter for Dodge Caravan. The size is correct. The quality not so much.

The filter paper of this filter appears to have never been fully bonded to the gasket/seal. Even if the pleats did not open up on the ends, unfiltered air was allowed to pass around the media. One heck of a terrible filter.
I replaced the filter with a Wix.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Toaster_Jer
If I may suggest a NAPA Gold air filter.....
Agreed; my silicon levels dropped significantly in my 2010 FX4 when I switched from MC to NAPA Gold.

The bowing suggests that the "rubber" is shrinking away.
The whole thing is substandard.
You don't know if it was washed with some harsh VOC or whatever.

That filter is just wrong. Kira

Just by looking at that filter I'm willing to bet its a 96-00 caravan. The air filter box on those vans is located very low to the ground. I can see the damage coming from simply driving through a big puddle.

The filter in question was removed from a 99 caravan as Run suggested. The air filter box was not closed properly at the bottom which would have allowed water or anything else in. It has water stains at one end of the filter but what surprised me is the way the media appears to have never been properly embedded in the rubber gasket material. The ends of the medial that are pinched/glued also let go. Not just in one place but everywhere.

As Kira said, the whole thing is just wrong.

This came out of a used minivan I just purchased with 170,000 miles. It runs fine and doesn't appear to consume oil. Time will tell.

When I hear the phrase "Made in Ukraine", I think of quality. Very shocking to see this.

28.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back