Low Brake Fluid 2009 Ford Taurus

Status
Not open for further replies.
the light hasn't gone off and it's been about a week. I'll have Belle Tire inspect it for a leak next Tuesday, but hopefully the car is fine.

i added more brake fluid yesterday, as it wasn't "low" but it was lower than where it was and was much lower than the max line, the light didn't go off on the dash, but do you think this is a brake fluid leak and what caused it? I heard it coudl be some hoses or the caliper or somewhere, what are some common sources of brake fluid leaks and their cause? thanks.

Just out of curiosity, how does the brake pedal feel on this car when you use it?
Nice and firm like on the Camry, or is it very squishy, no real resistance, falls to the floor?

Again, you need to take your car to a mechanic, and have them look it over, and repair it for you.

You DO NOT have the tools or the capability of locating the cause, not to mention repairing the brakes yourself, judging by your posts in this and other topics.

Either pay to have the car repaired, or remove it from service.
Simple as that.

BC.

I took it to a mechanic who was too busy but briefly looked at it. he told me the right rear caliper was leaking, and I could see it and that I need brake pads with it. Is that right? What if I DIY the brake job/pads, and then have him fix the caliper, but was told it could be a hose or be the piston/seal, so could I DIY it and since it has disc brakes, I don't need specialized tools as I asked the parts stores people and they said not for disc, but for drum, I would like long needle nose pliers or brake spring pliers, etc, but they do have loaner brake kits (the best one is at AAP). by the way, what is bitog's stance on loaner tools?
Will elaborate more on this later, but what's a good brand for brake pads? Belle Tire uses akebono, which is available at AAP, but oreilly has Wagner and so does AAP but oreilly's wagner is the cheapest. Is wagner any good or aap? What about oem motorcraft brake pads? I saw the brakebests at oreilly they had in stock and they looked rusty/[censored], but what about store brand brake pads in general? What about wagner thermoquiet (any good) or akebonos and which akebono as they had a performance line and a regular line, the performance had a lifetime warranty whereas the regular was only 1 or 3 years (can't remember but not lifetime).

Originally Posted By: engineer20
I took it to a mechanic who was too busy but briefly looked at it. he told me the right rear caliper was leaking, and I could see it and that I need brake pads with it. Is that right? What if I DIY the brake job/pads, and then have him fix the caliper, but was told it could be a hose or be the piston/seal, so could I DIY it and since it has disc brakes, I don't need specialized tools as I asked the parts stores people and they said not for disc, but for drum, I would like long needle nose pliers or brake spring pliers, etc, but they do have loaner brake kits (the best one is at AAP). by the way, what is bitog's stance on loaner tools?
Will elaborate more on this later, but what's a good brand for brake pads? Belle Tire uses akebono, which is available at AAP, but oreilly has Wagner and so does AAP but oreilly's wagner is the cheapest. Is wagner any good or aap? What about oem motorcraft brake pads? I saw the brakebests at oreilly they had in stock and they looked rusty/[censored], but what about store brand brake pads in general? What about wagner thermoquiet (any good) or akebonos and which akebono as they had a performance line and a regular line, the performance had a lifetime warranty whereas the regular was only 1 or 3 years (can't remember but not lifetime).

I used to think your trolling was amusing and played along a little for fun. However, your act is getting old. Can't you find another way to get your kicks?

Best bet for Ford Taurus rear calipers is to go to AutoZone and get a lifetime rebuilt one. And you do need special tools to screw the rear disc piston in. IIRC you need to screw counter clockwise and push in at the same time.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Best bet for Ford Taurus rear calipers is to go to AutoZone and get a lifetime rebuilt one. And you do need special tools to screw the rear disc piston in. IIRC you need to screw counter clockwise and push in at the same time.

I think advance may rent the tool he needs, with the special disc w/raised pins. If not he can buy it at HF.

Originally Posted By: artbuc

I used to think your trolling was amusing and played along a little for fun. However, your act is getting old. Can't you find another way to get your kicks?

I am NOT trolling, I'm being completely honest, except I don't know much about cars. This isn't trolling, the Taurus has an actual caliper leak and I'm looking to DIY it or at least have some advice or constructive comments about this.

Getting really old.

If this is true, take your car to a garage for proper repairs, or at least stop driving it, before you kill someone.

Originally Posted By: mk378
Getting really old.

If this is true, take your car to a garage for proper repairs, or at least stop driving it, before you kill someone.

Of all the response postings from various BITOGers RE: this said subject matter, this one makes the most sense.

Thank you.

Q.

I am NOT trolling, I'm being completely honest, except I don't know much about cars.
This isn't trolling, the Taurus has an actual caliper leak and I'm looking to DIY it or at least have some advice or constructive comments about this.

I will just quote myself, since it still applies fully:

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter

Again, you need to take your car to a mechanic, and have them look it over, and repair it for you.

You DO NOT have the tools or the capability of locating the cause, not to mention repairing the brakes yourself, judging by your posts in this and other topics.

Either pay to have the car repaired, or remove it from service.
Simple as that.

BC.

If you actually had the tools and capability to do anything other than post on an internet forum, you would have repaired your car in 30 minutes or less.

Replacing a brake caliper and brake line and bleeding the air pocket out of it after the replacement is a 30 minute job, and pretty much requires simple hand tools. THe fact that you haven't already done this means that:

A- You don't have the tools needed to do this job, and you lack the skills to pull this off on your own

or it means:

B- You're an attention hor/forum troll who's only life skill is posting nonsense on the internet.

Judging by ALL of your posts on your Taurus/Camry threads, the true answer is B.
You are a variant of the type of person that GHT is. All your posts are asking what you should do, and you receive plenty of replies with what you should do, and yet, months go by and you never do ANYTHING that was suggested.

So, seriously, You act like a troll, and you post in exactly the same way as the most famous of trolls on here, and your car never gets fixed.

Exactly how are you not a troll?
Exactly how are you not trolling?

And somehow, you want us to believe you're an engineer of some form.
Guess what? I work with hundreds of engineers every single day.

All of them know exactly how to resolve the issue that you are experiencing on both of your cars. Most of them will pay a mechanic. The other few will buy the parts they need, and install them.

Not a single one of them posts as much as you do on internet forums, and drive around in cars with faulty brake components.

Only an idiot does that.

BC.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
you want us to believe you're an engineer of some form.

I believe that he is not an engineer of any type, and I further believe that his job has no component that is related to any sort of engineering.

He claims he comes from an immigrant parents and is successful enough to own his own home with a garage.

Being an immigrant parent myself, he just does NOT fit the profile of a typical son of immigrant family.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
He claims he comes from an immigrant parents and is successful enough to own his own home with a garage.

From what I recall, he has implied (or maybe made it explicit; I'm not going to try and read thru that again...) that he went heavily into debt to "own" that home, which is why he wants to DIY his car repairs.

Another rquestion is why do calipers leak? And can you fix a caliper? I heard if ti's a brake hose, you can fix it, the Taurus has a caliper leak. Can you use sealer or fix the piston or some other components to a caliper and should you replace them in pairs? One person said yes, because even if the other isen't leaking, you might pull to the side when braking if you replace one, well if that's the case, if I get a used one from the junkyard, would that be better as i'd only need to replace one in that case and both would be "used" and evenly worn? Yet someone else said at a ford dealer service dept, you don't need to replace both, you could but one is ok. so what's your take on that? Thanks.

why did the caliper go bad? what caused it? Was using the ABS or pressing the brakes really hard causing it to go bad? I asked around today, one ford dealer offered me a discount for 75 on it, and should I replace both calipers? And labor is 1 hr max, whereas some places said about 50 to change it but 70-100 to change it and bleed it. I can try to bleed it myself and change it out myself after I get the part. Another junkyard said 25 for the caliper, but it looked rusty and was from a 120k car and this car has 95k. So should I get the junkyard part of new and if new, do I need to replace both? Did braking really hard cause the caliper to go bad, and is it repairable?
And yes, I did take out a mortgage for the house. I know some ppl do pay cash to own a home, but not many are lucky enough to do that, aren't mortgages "normal?" What's so wrong about going into "debt" for a home, and having a home with a garage is no big deal in metro Detroit, it's not like I"m living in NYC, it's not urbanized enough to be like that and even in the city of Detroit where homes are super cheap, many houses have garages, all depends on when the home was built, after the auto industry surge, Detroit grew a lot and the houses built after ford motor company, etc had garages, the ones built before then, since Detroit was already pretty big of a city before the auto boom, often don't, but for most of metro Detroit, having a garage is no biggie and even in the worst/cheapest neighborhoods, you'll likely find a garage, albeit a 1 garage home, whereas better off more average mid line houses have 2 and top of the line houses will have 3 or even 4 but 2 is the average, 3 if you're well off and 1 if you're in an older, below average priced home.

Anyways, got off topic, why did the brake calipers go bad and should I replace both, or get a used one if I replace one? And could I fix the caliper, they sell repair kits at the parts stores, it wasn't a hose, if it was a hose, it'd be ok but it's the caliper. and the brake pads don't need to be replaced with it.

You can replace one at a time. They apply the same power side to side until they break. You may not find a junkyard that wants the liability of selling used brake parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back