Second order in a row screwed up by Rock Auto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whenever Rock Auto gets a clue...

I ordered 4 feet of 5/8" Gates brand heater hose. So, what did they do? They sent a piece that is 1 foot long, and the invoice clearly states 4 feet.

Now, either I have to go out tonight in the sleet and rain and buy the correct length of heater hose, or I don't get to do a complete job on my truck in the morning (replacing all of the hoses under the hood).

The order before that, they didn't put enough postage on it, and the Post Office demanded the postage that was due from ME. And when I complained to RockAuto about it, they sent me store credit. I then had to demand a cash refund, as I don't believe the Post Office wanted store credit.

I'm done buying from these clowns. I'm not sure how they stay in business, when they screw up this much.

They sent me the wrong brake shoes, paid for return shipping (prepaid label) and sent me the correct parts. Call customer service.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
I'm done buying from these clowns. I'm not sure how they stay in business, when they screw up this much.

It's all the warehouses they are contracted with doing the screwing up.

What bothers me is buying something from RA and when I get it the box seal on the part itself is broken.
I always wonder if I'm getting what I bought or if the contents have been swapped with a cheaper version, especially for parts that the manufacturer doesn't put their name on it.

Last edited:
Why anyone would buy cut heater hose from mailorder is a mystery.The shipping costs would ruin any price advantage that they would enjoy vs the local parts store.Besides,NAPA/Auto Value and others sell Gates too.So exact same item there.With RockAutos habits,there's no guarantee you are going to get the same brand you ordered anyway....surprised you didn't get 10 year old Dayco or some other off name.

Originally Posted By: JellyBeanDriver
I always wonder if I'm getting what I bought or if the contents have been swapped with a cheaper version, especially for parts that the manufacturer doesn't put their name on it.

How would that work? RockAuto turns around and gets rich by putting the premium parts in low-end boxes?
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Why anyone would buy cut heater hose from mailorder is a mystery.The shipping costs would ruin any price advantage that they would enjoy vs the local parts store.Besides,NAPA/Auto Value and others sell Gates too.So exact same item there.With RockAutos habits,there's no guarantee you are going to get the same brand you ordered anyway....surprised you didn't get 10 year old Dayco or some other off name.

Why wouldn't I order cut heater hose from them, when I ordered all of the other hoses from them at the same time?

What are you thinking, that I only ordered one hose? What part of "replacing all of the hoses under the hood" didn't you understand? I bought ALL of the hoses from Rock Auto.

The true mystery is your lack of comprehension.

And no, it wasn't 10 year old Dayco hose. It is stamped "Gates" with the manufacture date of 9/23/2015.

You're just wrong, all over the place....

I use to buy lots from RockAuto, but early in this year or late last year they started manipulating the shipping prices to the point any discount from them is not worth the hassle any longer. They are using too many warehouses now that are driving up the shipping rates. Places like NewEgg or Amazon use different warehouses, but you get one shipping rate.

Sure if I want lots of one thing, then it's not that bad. But if I am making an order I am usually wanting to buy multiple items, and their current system practically pigeon holes an order to one warehouse, and either that warehouse does not have what I want, or it's not the brand I seek.

If it's cheap to ship (think Amazon Prime) then I would too. Takes time (and gas) to drive to a store. If I'm reading a thread about how to do a job, and it lists all the parts I need, well, why not order?

Ordered a week ago. Shipping was 30.00. No parts yet. It's just easier to go get the stuff you need and forget RA and their slow shipping. No more ordering from Rock Auto for me.

A few years ago I purchased a sway bar end link from Rock Auto and received a parking light assembly. They had very similar part numbers but it clearly was wrong. When I notified Rock Auto, they quickly corrected the problem at their expense. Luckily for me this only happened once and my orders since then have been fine.

Probably ordered 10 different times; all correct except one downstream O2 sensor didn't have a mounting gasket; I contacted Customer Service and they sent a gasket right away.

The web tends to be unreasonably balanced towards documenting the bad, and seldom the good.

Give them a chance to rectify the situation

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Probably ordered 10 different times; all correct except one downstream O2 sensor didn't have a mounting gasket; I contacted Customer Service and they sent a gasket right away.

The web tends to be unreasonably balanced towards documenting the bad, and seldom the good.

Give them a chance to rectify the situation

Especially when it comes to Purolator.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Originally Posted By: JellyBeanDriver

How would that work? RockAuto turns around and gets rich by putting the premium parts in low-end boxes?
grin.gif

No, I didn't mean that rockauto was doing it intentionally - it's the warehouses they contract with that do the order filling. I've seen evidence of people swapping premium parts for low end stuff at B&M places and then buying the 'cheaper' box of stuff while getting the expensive stuff (the Purolator one oil filter in the Mobil 1 filter box for example).

If I buy something, I would expect the order to come in with the box seals intact.

I've never had an issue with rockauto, but the warehouse shipment deal does mean you have to watch the bottom line price carefully...

I want to change all the hoses on my Accent. But RA ships from different warehouses so this drives up the shipping cost. Too bad they don't have all the hoses at one warehouse. Even getting their discontinued or discounted items doesn't make up the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back