Kobalt or Husky?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 15 year old 137 piece Craftsman (made in USA) toolset that, as I work on the care more and more, just doesn't have all the parts I wish it had. For example, in the middle of a job earlier this month I had to go to the store to get a 15mm deep well socket. It is mostly fine, is decent quality, just looking for something with more pieces.

That said, I'm kind of getting tired of buying pieces when I need them and am looking for a new set. I'd give my old one to my dad, who doesn't have very many tools at my parent's cabin.

These are the two I'm looking at (below). I don't want to spend the money on Snap-on and don't want to go Craftsman again. Any thoughts?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Mechanics-Tool-Set-268-Piece-H268MTS/203541462

http://www.lowes.com/pd_221073-22328-86213___?int_cmp=Home:A3:Tools:Spcl_Value:FW43_Kobalt_Mechanics_Set_221073#BVRRWidgetID

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?part...w&cId=PDIO1

I have mostly Craftsman tools but have added a couple of Husky wrenches and Kobalt sockets over the years. I've adjusted to the old made in USA Craftsman tools and personally don't care much for either Husky of Kobalt. My Craftsman tools are not glossy with a bright shine and don't scratch quite so easily. If I had to choose between Husky and Kobalt, I'd get whatever is the best bang for the buck.

You can't have to many tools. If you are dealing with rusty bolts under a vehicle get some good 6 point sockets sae and metric.

Kobalt or Husky ? That's depressing as heck.
frown.gif

You want some good tools at cheap prices ? Get TOPTUL.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Kobalt or Husky ? That's depressing as heck.
frown.gif

You want some good tools at cheap prices ? Get TOPTUL.

Where are these available?

I considered Husky and Kobalt when I bought a set last year, but I ended up getting a Bostitch 105 piece six point set 3/8 and 1/2 drive in SAE/MM that had no wrenches. The wrenches are not that good that come in the sets, so I bought a set of Gearwrench ratcheting wrenches. Then bought a NAPA complete 1/4 inch drive six point tool set SAE/MM with all the deep wells too.

Bought the Bostitch and NAPA from Ebay total cost $100. Bought the Gearwrench 20 piece ratcheting wrench set from Sears for $30 plus tax. The NAPA set was a discontinued set because they started using the Carlyle name on their good quality tools.

If your choice is between those two, I would simply shop for where the best deal is.
There were some deals today and over the weekend on Bostich, Stanley and Crescent.

No toolset is all inclusive. Add to what you already have. For example, you said you needed a 15mm deep socket. If you were just missing to complete the set, then that was a good buy. If you did not have any deep sockets, I would have suggested you buy a whole set 10-19mm of deep wells. And so on.

ifmyou go out an buy a bigger 500 piece set, you'll still eventually run into the situation where it's missing that one tool that you need.

Originally Posted By: ajchien

if you go out an buy a bigger 500 piece set, you'll still eventually run into the situation where it's missing that one tool that you need.

Tools are like money...you never have enough.

Originally Posted By: cjcride
Tools are like money...you never have enough.

Amen to that!

I have a older Husky ratchet set from the early 90s. It was excellent quality. I don`t know how good the new sets are. I don`t own any Kobalt ratchets or sockets.

As suggested, I might even check the HF stuff. I`ve bought quite a few pittsburg sockets and things from HF more recently and you can`t beat the price for what you get using the 20% off coupon.

If it means anything to you Husky and Matco's economy line Silver Eagle sockets are made on the same line.
ce11b285eef71f16e3bb5f459a27724a.jpg

After being disappointed in recent years with newer Craftsman tools, and with less than stellar customer service at Sears, I've written them off. While Craftsman wrenches and sockets seem to still be of good quality, if I'm not going to be going in there for other tools, it isn't worth going in only for sockets and wrenches. So I recently refreshed my sockets and wrenches with the set that Nukeman7 links to above. So far I've been pretty happy, although I do prefer the grip on the old Craftsman ratchets. But I do love the smaller lock angle on the Kobalt ratchets.

To date I have not yet broke any of the Kobalt tools, so I can't speak to their customer service. But it's hard to imagine that it would be any less courteous than what I got at Sears the last two times. Part of my preference for the Kobalt over Husky is that I generally prefer and shop a lot more at Lowes than I do at Home Depot, so I typically don't have to make a special trip to Lowes to pick up a tool.

So count my vote for the Kobalt tools.

What are your thoughts on Northern Tools line (Klutch)? I know little about Northern Tools in general. I found this set:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200649494_200649494

I do like my Craftsmen tools, though could have uses a little quicker lock-in angle on the last job I did. I don't want to downgrade quality just because I want more pieces.

I also found this one at Home Depot. But all the 1/2 sockets are 12 point:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Mechanics-Tool-Set-in-Metal-Box-200-Piece-H200MTSMB/205897981

I think my first (purchased) sets were Husky. Probably about fifteen years ago I got the small socket set that goes to 19mm I believe and I think I bought another one sometime later.

Mostly Craftsman in my Craftsman/Waterloo toolbox. I have a Husky, T4-T10 I think screwdriver. Maybe a few other HD items, and then I have a few Lowe's items....but as for Husky and Kobalt i thnk that is it. I do no recall ever purchasing a Kobalt tool.

Luckily I stocked up on Craftsman a few years ago before they downsized and sent more and more work offshore. I cannot think of anyplace that has as much USA goods as Sears- besides the tool truck which is mostly for the professional!

The Husky tools seem decent for the price. I use the torx bits every day at work with no problems, I think I paid $14 for the set 6 months or so ago. As others have said, some of the Husky tools are made on the same lines as the Matco tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back