PPU 5w20, 4740 miles, 2014 Wrangler

Status
Not open for further replies.
My third UOA, 4,470 mile interval, 29,775 total miles on the 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited.

All changes have been done with a Mopar oil filter. Air filters changed at 15k and 30k miles.

Commo

WHY.....are you doing such short OCI's ??? IMO, you are wasteing good oil, time and $$$.

A TBN of 4.7 means you could go much further than 4,470 miles. Try 7000 next time OR get off PP (synthetic) ans switch to a good conventional like PYB or QSAD....and then do 5000 OCI's.

Originally Posted By: Garak
9 ppm of silicon is inconsequential, particularly in comparison to your trending and universal averages. Blackstone just had to fill their narrative space with something.

Absolutely!

While under warranty I'm following the manual's recommendation for 4,000 +/- OCI when used as 'severe duty' as much of my driving is on northern Michigan dirt roads, which can throw a lot of dust at you..

Not obsessing about it; will probably go to 5,000 +/- after warranty, watching the Silicon, of course
wink.gif

By buying the PPU at ~$28/5 qts I'm getting the oil changes done at reasonable cost and it takes very little time or fuss in my garage, what with the top-mounted oil filter. And of course I'm recycling the oil!

Commo

Garak, plain and simply LOL...;)

Though I did create a new sandbox for the kiddies from the drippings...

Commo

I don't think your dealership will know you're using you vehicle in severe duty, as long as you keep within the normal OCI, you'll be fine, your oil shows it's clearly capable of running a full OCI under normal conditions

Save yourself some money and let the more expensive oil do its job and run the full interval. Not doing any favours by going synthetic with those short intervals

Their is no OLM monitor on the Jeep? The Pentastar in my Ram doesn't trip the OLM to around 8k.

4k on a modern vehicle especially one with a 6 quart sump is silly short, as the UOA points out. But if your going to ignore what the data shows why even spend the $30 on the UOA in the first place?

The engine doesn't care if its driven on a dirt road, that's what the air filter takes care of.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments.

H-guy, it's mostly to ascertain that the air filter is indeed doing its job that I'm doing the UOAs -- if you hang out on the Jeep forums long enough you'll hear of Xler challenging an engine problem related to oil or air intake problems; this seems like cheap insurance if I were to run into that scenario.

For example, there's a thread right now on the Wrangler Forum in which a guy has been denied a repair claim because he has 'dirt' in his Jeep's intake tract...bet he wishes he had a few UOAs in his pocket about now.

The Wrangler does indeed have an OLM and I reset it at each change..I'm usually just under 50% when I do my changes, which coincides pretty well with the 8,000 miles mentioned by H-guy and the Severe Duty number (4,000) I'm using.

Commo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back