How helpful is DISCOUNT TIRE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I get a set of winter tires on rims with tpms (installed i'd think they'd put the in at the tire rack mounting facility in tireville ohio) sent via ups from Tire Rack.... Would Discount tire reprogram the tpms for me at a reasonable fee or do they become territorial?

I bought 4 pirelli p7 and dropped some healty coin 15k miles ago there at discount tire. Not that they owe me a favor.

Probably, but you should check to see what kind of deal they would give you on the same package. I know they will price match, plus you would get free rotation and balancing.

I've found them to be helpful, they do free air checks and flat repairs (at least eh ones I've been to) with a smile. Do be aware they seem to mostly have "quick match" balancers which are not the same as a road force.

From my experience, I believe Discount will program the TPMS sensors that you bought elsewhere for free. When I bought my Outback, Discount rotated my OEM tires for free, including programming the TPMS sensors each season when the winter tires came off and the OEM tires went back on.

their intent is to overwhelm you with their great service so you won't want to buy tires elsewhere next time.

Well good luck on TPMS sensors for a Toyota. Pretty sure you have to program the serial number off of each sensor into the cars computer via scan tool. That's why I forget about sensors on my winter wheels. And good luck with the "free" part of that hassle.

Originally Posted By: Traction
Well good luck on TPMS sensors for a Toyota. Pretty sure you have to program the serial number off of each sensor into the cars computer via scan tool. That's why I forget about sensors on my winter wheels. And good luck with the "free" part of that hassle.

This is correct for at least some Toyotas, including the Corolla. I imagine the same system would be used across the passenger car line. This system is a PITA, and expensive. The dealer charges a significant fee for the programming. Buying and installing the sensors and doing the programming adds about 50% to the cost of buying the tires and extra rims. If I had a toyota, I would either skip the sensors or just not buy extra rims and mount the snows on the original wheels, though this is also expensive paying for mounting and balancing and not super convenient. But it saves a lot on hardware and programming. I'm glad my Honda uses the ABS sensors to measure wheel rotation speed, no need to replace or reprogram the sensors with wheel changes. There is a simple two minute recalibration procedure you have to do with any change, even tire rotation, but it's just a very minor incpnveninece.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back