2004 Sienna Tire Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,

I am looking for tire recommendations. The van simply eats tires due to weight.
It gets about 500 miles a month or less. Always garaged and is used on vacations. 10 years and it only has 101k total miles. Car is in Bay Area, CA. Temps do get down to mid 30s from time to time, and car does see the snow at Tahoe for some trips too.

I'm leaning toward CS5 Grand Touring, General Altimax RT43, or Continental TrueContact.

I have the CS5 Ultra Touring on my other car and it has been great.

What are your thoughts and recommendations for a van that gets low annual miles.

General is owned by Continental. I'd get Continental TrueContacts. I'm taking a wild guess Continental does a few things better on it they don't on the Generals that could matter for some in the long run. More and/or better antioxidants in the rubber compound to prevent and offset tire cracking for one. Possibly a more and a higher quality silica content for another.

For your usage, any tire will last the 5-6 years before replacement time anyway (you'd have put on 25-30k miles by then). You're supposed to replace them that often regardless of mileage, so the eating tires doesn't really matter.

Even the cheapest tire should last that long.

The CS5, RT43, and TrueContacts would all work fine, but so would the cheap Douglas tires at Walmart.

Michelin Defenders are rated for 90k, but that's way more than you'll ever put on before they go bad.

Maybe a truck tire might last longer, since they're better designed for heavier loads and the tall profile of a minivan/SUV/truck. Take a look at the Kumho Crugen KL33.

The Falken Ziex ZE950 is a good high performance all-season tire. These kinds of tires don't last the longest, but for low use they'll make it 5 years.

If performance is not a concern, and you want a convenient option, get the Ecopia EP422 Plus from Costco. They are running $140 off for exec members until 11/29, and a set in your size runs about $510 installed, out the door.

You'll get a 70,000 mile treadwear warranty and 5 years of road hazard.

Last edited:
Decided to go with General Altimax RT43. They seem to have pretty good reviews. After DTD pricing discounts, it came out to about $324 + $64 mounting fee. Pretty hard to beat at that price. No sales tax as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back