Leopard Hunting...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any of you old Mac guys have a retail version of OS X 10.5 OS install DVD, laying around gathering dust?

Friend has given me their old 20" PPC iMac with OS 10.4.11 installed. I'd like to upgrade it to 10.5.8 max. Talked to Apple, visited their store, searched online (yes, they're somewhat available for $$$$). Apple still posts updates to 10.5 on their servers, but not the install package.

I have a "grey" 10.5.6 install disc for a 17" PPC iMac, but the larger 20" won't accept it. Perhaps there's a way to hack the installer?

While mousing around on a new iMac in their store, I learned that the current generation isn't upgradeable by the user at all! Ram is soldered in! They've 'elevated' above modular construction, I was told. (really???)

I wonder how many of their customers know this? Everything's baked together at the mother ship and it will remain so.

I was wondering the same thing, I just installed an SSD in my 2005 mac mini G4 1.33/1GB and want to take it up the furthest the OS will go.

As for these highly integrated machines, Id venture to guess that most users never upgrade their RAM or processor beyond the spec they choose at purchase time... regardless os manufacturer/make/design approach.

I wonder if they solder the SSD on, that would be more troublesome IMO.

This 20" PPC iMac is very nice. A bit slow for the modern internet, with all it's junk, pop-ups, flash, etc. Otherwise, it'll make a great movie/audio/backup server. The kybrd needs a good clean, so do the fans probably.

I wish there was some way to force the 10.5.6 install disk to run. Perhaps I can hack the installer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back