Where's the oil leak coming from here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2002 Pontiac Sunfire(2.2 OHV) which has been using oil like crazy lately, Turns out it's leaking and the leak is coming from the back of the block at what looks like sensors. Looked up that sensor and all I see the leak is coming from that upper passenger side sensor and from the online images it says Crankshaft position sensor!

62217_OPS_1.jpg

P_20151127_121644_NT_1.jpg

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
too dark, cannot see.

You should consider giving that portion of the engine block a wash (with engine degreaser) first, then inspect after driving 20~100miles.

Q.

Sorry for the bad quality of the pic but I cleaned it a good bit-it looked so messy there, oil was everywhere on the oil pan, transmission pan and exhaust pipe ..I even put a rag underneath this sensor after I wiped everything and put the car on ramps and let it run for 10 minutes-the rag was soaking wet in oil and there was no oil anywhere else..so it has to be coming from one of these 2 upper sensors(oil pressure or Crankshaft position sensor) but I saw a big oil spot coming from the latter..Is it possible the crankshaft position sensor leaks oil or there's no oil to go this way and it has to be the oil pressure sensor ?

Oil pressure switches will pour oil when they go bad. All it takes is a little light bump on an old switch, and it's a goner.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
Oil pressure switches will pour oil when they go bad. All it takes is a little light bump on an old switch, and it's a goner.

So crank position sensor on this car can't leak oil?..another note is the car has been throwing oil light after 20-25 minutes of driving for a few months now but drives just fine even on 500 mile trips and has not burnt oil or anything, it has just started lately to leak so badly!

How to reach this sensor, it seems a no go from underneath!

I would bet on the oil pressure sensor, just because I have seen many of them fail with the symptoms you describe. They are cheap, and they can actually start leaking without any warning, or without being touched.

It's probably your oil pressure sensor. I had to replace mine a few weeks ago for the same reason. That plastic dries out after awhile from all the heat. You'll need to buy a can of electrical contact cleaner to remove the oil that's inside the connector before you connect it to the new sensor.

It's actually the oil pressure sensor, took the throttle body out and had closer look and by the shape of the new ones on auto parts store website-it's that bugger, don't know why in the diagram I quoted they had them the other way around ..Will go buy one and try to replace it tomorrow-hope that works out well.

Thanks everybody

Last edited:
The switch activates the oil light on the dash-- that is usually the only thing that it does-- so a new one is likely to resolve that problem too.

Originally Posted By: mk378
The switch activates the oil light on the dash-- that is usually the only thing that it does-- so a new one is likely to resolve that problem too.

Hope that fixes it too. I wasn't sure if there's any precaution replacing this sensor?.From what I read it need 1 1/16" 6 point socket? and where I find this kind of socket?

Well, I replaced the oil pressure sensor and I had to get to it from up top where I took the intake housing and throttle body off..till now it went ok but I put everything back together only to find out my GAS PEDAL IS LOOSE and just hanging there..Is it something to do with the throttle cable? I'm bummed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back