TPMS on cheap winter rims

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mlatour
Can't see TPMS sensors affecting vehicle stability and traction control functions. They monitor pressure, not wheel spin.

Wheelspin is detected by ABS sensors, stability control probably detected by a combination of some lateral motion/gyro gyzmo and ABS sensors as well.

My previous car, a 2011 Dodge Charger and now my current 2014 F150 both have never had TPMS sensors installed in their winter tire/wheel sets.

Apart from a 'TPMS' fault message lighting up in the F150's dashboard (the Charger 'fault' message disappeared after a few days never to re-appear later on).
Despite no TPMS, both of these vehicles' ABS, stabilty and traction control systems functioned quite normaly in slippery winter conditions.

While all agree that it should not, a member reported that their Fit has TC stuck on if tpms has a fault. I know for my truck, if I have all seasons on, I must disable TC and VSC in snow; with snow tires, it still works better with them off. Computer does not allow enough wheelspin. My Camry though has great TC and it can stay on.

Blowing by 4WD trucks on 20in all terrains, with a 4cyl Camry on Blizzaks is priceless!

Originally Posted By: Traction
Blowing by 4WD trucks on 20in all terrains, with a 4cyl Camry on Blizzaks is priceless!

Those trucks would do circles around your little car with the proper tires.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979

Except most don't. A few people will. And even fewer will do the TPMS. The ones who don't put proper tires on will chalk it up to "This (manufacturer) truck is worthless in the snow, I need to trade it on a different one!"

Originally Posted By: Nate1979

I dunno... It's still a front heavy, rear light, over-powered, top-heavy creature. Barring a foot of snow on the road, once moving, the truck is at a handling disadvantage.

Got my winters on, and was rewarded with the stupid light for my Thanksgiving trip. It's ok, I used to own a VW--so having warning lights on is something I've been conditioned to ignore.
wink.gif
Unfortunately it was 66F when I got down here, and made wish I had waited just one more week!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back