Buick Lucerne 2006 eats batteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope this is the right forum. I have a Buick Lucerne 2006. I replaced the battery a year ago. Now that it's cold, I'm having problems again. I took the battery to where I bought it (Walmart, unfortunately) and they said it was good. I took the car to my mechanic and he said the battery is bad and the charging system is good.

So I'm stuck with finger-pointing. I'm thinking of getting a new battery from my mechanic (about $200!) just so that if something doesn't work right after that, at least I'm only dealing with one person. Any chance that there's some latent problem in the charging system, say something that's wearing the battery out early by over-charging or something?

tia, Bill

More likely under charging which causes the battery to act weak. Do you do a lot of short trips?

Might be better to invest in a battery charger/maintainer

"They said it was good"? Did they load test it? There are ways to measure these things. Did the mechanic have an amp meter to test for "static drain" such as a trunk light stuck on?

Get a third opinion. Go to Advance/Autozone and get it load tested.
If they say battery is bad, take it back to WM, or preferably another store.
Tell them in regards to evaluations, they lost 2-1. Exhibit resolve and refuse to take no for an answer. Request a manager (if needed.)
Been through this before. The squeeky wheel always gets greased.

What does it do. How many miles. It can be a LOT of things.

Like starter, weak connection, bad sensor.

Is the MIL light on.

Rod

The charging system in the Buick may be more complex than the mechanic is aware of. Alternators used to regulate the voltage they produce using a regulator built into the alternator itself. This is not the case with many newer cars. I hope the mechanic is aware of this.

See the info provided in this link regarding Regulated Voltage Control
http://www.diagnosticnews.com/are-you-smarter-than-a-smart-charging-system/

Having grown up in the rust belt, I wondered how well these long battery cables will age, with the battery under the back seat. Seems like it may have some unique issues.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I recommend a Bosch battery. I have one for my Buick and it's been real good. I got mine at Pep Boys.

Looks to be an East Penn made battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back