Are aftermarket STEELIES ok for winter tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at some "unique" branded basic basic 17 inch plain steelie rims from tire rack for my '13 Camry SE. Are their steelies ok? Or notoriously tough to balance/excessive runout?

Also would it be better to run 16 inch steelies with a taller profile to create a similar total wheel unit diameter? Better meening some ACTUALLY NOTABLE advantage over a lower profile tire on a 17 inch rim.

In a nutshell, my wife got brainwashed at thanksgiving that the Pirelli P7 cinturatro A/S with just 7-8/32 which have gone thhrough ONE winter are now... NOT good enough for winter and she must have snow tires. She has driven onA/S tires for 20+ winters and now must have snow tires. Jeeez!

I gaurantee you this... After 20 years on A/S and not once going into a ditch, if I dont put snow tires on it.. She'll subconsiously put it in a ditch to prove a point. So i'll take off the new pirellis and the SE rims and put on some snows to solve the worlds problems miraculously.

Originally Posted By: SumpChump

Also would it be better to run 16 inch steelies with a taller profile to create a similar total wheel unit diameter? Better meening some notable advantage over a lower profile tire on a 17 inch rim.

Heck yeah. More sidewall flex means more snow tossing, and more resistance to blowouts hitting potholes and frost heaves.

If you're worried about crummy build quality, get some old 16" Camry OE rims from CL. I think they've used the same 5x114.3 pattern since the beginning of time.

What's funny is that alloys have been so common for so long they are sometimes cheaper than steelies, particularly if you get a cosmetically ugly set with bald tires that someone "just wants gone".

no their unique steelies are not hubcentric.. they are lugcentric and junky compared to tirerack's steelies.

also wanting to be as safe as possible in the winter is not brainwashed. Winter tires are much better esp in that lake effect snow.

Go ahead and rock the 16" steelies. The snow tires will be cheaper to buy than 17" snow tires. They'll also ride better when the suspension is not wanting to work as well.

My advice for china steelies is to paint them again before you put tires on them. The set I didn't do, looks terrible, the set I did repaint is holding up atleast as well as OEM steelies if not better. Super gloss black with some new chrome lugs looks kind of neat too.
OEM is best if you can find some though. My 1994(5) Neon wheels and hub caps are still on a co-workers Saturn at work. No major rust on them.

On my 13 Camry SE I am running the 16 in alloys that were on my 01, and 07 Camry. Still running the same 205/65-16 Blizzak's that were the 2nd set on the 07 at 200kmi, and are still working great, but will replace soon. The 205/65-16 is a great alternate size, and have been running for years on my Camry's and it should be easy to find a set of OEM alloys from almost any year. My stock wheels are 17.

Last edited:
I've done this a couple of times. Get the junkyard alloys and keep your snows at the smaller size (you say 16" for your application-fine).
Seeking out steel wheels was a brutal task all the times I've done it. It's only getting harder as fewer and fewer spares are full sized.

EXAMPLE: A while back friend scratched up 4 Subaru steels for an '01 Forester. Vermont, New York and Pennsylvania were involved.
Each had been a spare tire. Each was perfect.

Also, I don't know about Camrys but many of the large companies I asked didn't cover the vehicles I was trying to match.

IMPORTANT: Since snow tires vs street tires are NIGHT and frikkin' DAY in the snow, make sure wifey doesn't overdrive her car when her snows are on. Then she'll go in a ditch for sure.
Imagine the conversation you'll have after that!

Good luck. Kira

Originally Posted By: Rand
no their unique steelies are not hubcentric.. they are lugcentric and junky compared to tirerack's steelies.

also wanting to be as safe as possible in the winter is not brainwashed. Winter tires are much better esp in that lake effect snow.
There are adaptors TR sells to make wheels hub centric. Or, you could ask if TR has any OEM alloy takeoffs in stock. One size narrower is suggested for snow tires. I'm in the hunt for some OEM alloys for my 08 V6.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: eljefino
What's funny is that alloys have been so common for so long they are sometimes cheaper than steelies, particularly if you get a cosmetically ugly set with bald tires that someone "just wants gone".

This was my experience. When I started looking for a set of 16" wheels to put winter tires on my Outback, I looked at steel wheels and aluminum. I found that there are a lot more choices of aluminum wheels, and when looking on the local classifieds, used steel wheels were all rusty and nasty. I picked up a set of 16" OEM Subaru wheels off of a Baja for only $100.

When I found a set for my Tundra I all but flew down with the $100 the guy wanted. Rusty, But I did not care. Need to keep my eye out for Camry rims now, just don't look often enough.

Friend has a sandblaster so rust is ok. Blast and paint.

I'm confused. The "unique" branded steelies ARE Tire Rack steelies. Yet you seem to say that Tire Rack steelies are better. They are one in the same.

I've ordered winter tires mounted on steelies from tire rack for both my current cars. Simple, quick and easy (although not cheap).

Preferable to go with a -1 approach for snows..1" smaller wheel diameter, higher profile and narrower tire, rides better and is cheaper.

Older set of steelies is 8 yrs old, getting a little rusty. Newer set is only a year old and looks fine.

The others are right..snow tires are so much better in the snow..absolutely night and day difference.

I'm confused. The "unique" branded steelies ARE Tire Rack steelies. Yet you seem to say that Tire Rack steelies are better. They are one in the same.

You are indeed confused:
Discount tire branded steel wheels are "unique" branded
they are NOT! hubcentric and unable to be used with hub centering rings.

Tirerack steelies are "black painted steel wheels" they are either hubcentric or come with hub centering rings.

This is the good tire rack black painted steel wheel.
I would suggest painting it more they use very thin paint.

tireracksteelie.JPG

This is the DT/DTD unique steel wheel that is not hubcentric.

dtdsteelie.JPG

Do you see the difference between the two?

With your ocd-ness and other ailments I would suggest only getting hubcentric wheels.

Last edited:
Talking to Tire Rack about some steelies and some Michelin XICE-XI3....

They say no adaptors are needed despite my '13 Camry being hubcentric and that there is no special concerns when mounting to car nor concerns about stud damage/stud risk.

NO concerns at all they say... totally interchangeable.

Your thoughts?

Why are you making another new thread about the same thing. Please keep them in the same thread?

Please see my answer in the other thread. You are horribly confused.

Last edited:
sorry. I thought that different folks had different elements of expertise on the same issue but a different aspect. Sorry to take up your thread-making space. I'll wass my pee off of your tree
wink.gif

You are indeed confused:
Discount tire branded steel wheels are "unique" branded
they are NOT! hubcentric and unable to be used with hub centering rings.

Tirerack steelies are "black painted steel wheels" they are either hubcentric or come with hub centering rings.

This is the good tire rack black painted steel wheel.
I would suggest painting it more they use very thin paint.

tireracksteelie.JPG

This is the DT/DTD unique steel wheel that is not hubcentric.

dtdsteelie.JPG

Do you see the difference between the two?

With your ocd-ness and other ailments I would suggest only getting hubcentric wheels.

HQ!! didnt see your latest post.

And thanks for your professional diagnoses Mr.Tom Cruise. I saw your latest video online, intense sir.

Oh, and here's the confusing thing...
the ACTUAL Tire Rack employee told me they are NOT hub centric and DO NOT need centering rings. Usually they know their stuff but I believe you more than them. That the steelies do need centering rings.

Loss of trust in what Tire Rack is saying.

Talking to Tire Rack about some steelies and some Michelin XICE-XI3....

They say no adaptors are needed despite my '13 Camry being hubcentric and that there is no special concerns when mounting to car nor concerns about stud damage/stud risk.

NO concerns at all they say... totally interchangeable.

Your thoughts?
TR usually stocks vehicle specific wheels and with the proper offset, as well as hub configuration . If they say it's ok without an adapter it's because it's a hub centric wheel.
If it isn't, you'll know about it as no matter how good the balance job they'll never provide a smooth ride. I found that out when a "Buyer's Klub" tire droid removed my adapters and tossed them. Smart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back