Old pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder why they had a six-wheel design...

_86834811_c813bd8c-c19c-4364-a80f-1d76cab4d892.jpg

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Wonder why they had a six-wheel design...

_86834811_c813bd8c-c19c-4364-a80f-1d76cab4d892.jpg

IIRC, reducing aero drag while maintaining front mechanical grip was the big idea. I don't know if tyre size was restricted back then, but those back tires look big, so maybe getting enough front tire caused a lot of aero drag.

That's exactly it. The P34 was a beautiful car, in my opinion. The idea was to reduce aerodinamic drag by having smaller front wheels, they were 10", but by having two each side instead of one the tyre contact area was actually increased.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
FWIW:

Well That Didn’t Work: The Crazy Plan to Bring 6-Wheeled Cars to F1

Edit: this is a pretty cool picture:

_86836825_db107784-2420-4c66-8a09-d21b11edb29b.jpg

That is a pucker factor zulu right there.

Funny moment about me and racing. One of the current IndyCar drivers is a family friend of ours. His father worked for McLaren and Ferrari as well as designed Indycars for March. We were having dinner with the parents and some friends, the driver was in Italy on a simulator. The driver's mom told the dad to not bore everyone with racecar talk. My mom told me to not bring up racecars because it was a holiday and she thought he didn't want to talk about it. After an hour or so the mom asked me what the last movie I had seen in theaters was. I said "I went to the premier of Senna in LA." and he pipes up and said "I was in that, when they showed the McLaren driver announcement I was in the background." At that point the whole dinner devolved into nerdy racecar talk. It was awesome.

Thanks for the pictures. I would go to upstate NY from 1970 to 1979 to watch the F1 circus. The bark of the Cosworth V8's, the high pitch wail of the Matra V12, the distinct thrum of the Ferrari and Alfa flat 12's. Cars would visibly move around and drift thru the turns, as aero did not stick the cars. Lots of opposite lock on corner exit. Security was not like today, you could watch the mechanics work, sometimes all night. Actually talk to some of the drivers if you were lucky and cared to. Today it is all very different. I love to see pre 1980 pictures of motor racing. The original Can-Am series was cool also.

Last edited:
That's a nice picture. I particularly note the dinged car still left at the side of the track!

Do you know if that is at Flugplatz?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back