Pt cruiser heater not as hot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone happy thanksgiving. So yesterday I drove the wife's car and noticed the heater was warm but not hot. I did noticed the temp gauge would come up some and go down so I plugged in my solus edge and looked at live data it would fluctuate from 186-194f
I decided to do the thermostat just to be safe and it doesn't fluctuate anymore but even sitting the temp doesn't get past 200 and was around 190f. The thermostat is a 195. The heater blows at 122 degrees but it's not blistering hot. It blew at 110 yesterday on the 3rd setting. So the thermostat helped but I would expect the car to blow around 140-160 the dart blows at 150 at similar settings. The coolant is clean the car runs good. I checked the blend door cable at the switch it's moving as it should and appears to be using its full travel. I cannot see at the blend door itself but the heat does get increasingly warmer or colder as you move the dial. Any thoughts ? Maybe 122 is ok? I don't drive the car all the time so I can't compare how it's been at different times. All help is appreciated everyone.

Originally Posted By: mehullica
Could have air trapped in the heater core

+1
Did you vacuum fill the system? I've learned to always fill cooling systems with a vacuum-fill device if possible.

If not, it may take multiple warm-up/cool-down bleed cycles using a coolant thermostat.

You might try flushing the heater core, is fairly easy to do, disconnect the heater hoses and direct one into a 5 gallon bucket. Use a water hose on low pressure on the other hose end to back flush the core into the bucket. You might see jelly looking gunk come out the hose going to the bucket. Flush one way a few minutes, then reverse the flow for a few minutes. Top off the coolant and see if you have better heat. Clogged heater core is kind of a common problem with Dakota's, and it could be the same with a PT Cruiser.

The heater was weak before the system was ever opened. After doing the thermostat it has gotten a little better. Both heater hoses were pretty hot. When I replaced the radiator last year due to slight seepage the original radiator was pretty clean on the inside from what I could see. I may try flushing the heater core though not sure what else it would be.

I always used a min of 140f in a 60 degree shop at idle. Anything less is gonna be trouble when its cold out. What was the outside air temp?

My neon could make toast on the defrosters and I'm sure it's similar if not the same. Keep up the good fight.

Has your PT always seen G05 as far as you know?

My first thought is there might be some air in the system which will eventually find its way out if the system wasn't properly burped. Drive it let it cool off and remove the radiator cap to check and top up as needed. This could take a few days and a few times. If that doesn't work, and the thermostat is the same temperature as the thermostat you removed, I would try forward and reverse flushing the heater core, and properly bleed the cooling system.

A last question and thought: Did you use OEM or an aftermarket thermostat? I found over the years aftermarket thermostats are hit or miss at best and only use OEM thermostats now.

This sounds goofy and dumb but when I suspect an air pocket I pull the top radiator hose from the rad end. Sometimes the air will whoosh right out, then, but if it doesn't, I backfill the engine through the hose, and hold the hose up high to make more gravity pressure.

What you want to find is an antifreeze mess when you pull it. If you're clever you can get a "slight drip" then stuff it back on.

Not that I think it would change things, but there's a system bleeder fitting at the base of the thermostat housing. It looks like a brake bleeder fitting.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
My neon could make toast on the defrosters and I'm sure it's similar if not the same. Keep up the good fight.

Has your PT always seen G05 as far as you know?

It currently has universal coolant in it. It is Chrysler compatible.

I'm kinda surprised even sitting at idle heat on it never warmed up past 206 fans never came on

Originally Posted By: ram_man
I'm kinda surprised even sitting at idle heat on it never warmed up past 206 fans never came on

The air flow through the heater core is compromised in some manor. Possibly a blend door issue. What's the chance there is a wad of leaves in there?

The blend door should be mechanically driven by a cable. My guess is it is working as designed.

I think the blend door is working correctly. And both heater hoses get equally hot. Maybe be there could be some build up in there blocking air flow but how would you get that out?

How could you have the same air gap before and after replacing the thermostat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back