A good backpack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, the backpacks are getting a little worn at my house, as we use them for lots of things! (Kids will do that to ya!)

I am looking for a few that don't cost a fortune, but can take the abuse that a family with kids can dish out. We currently have a couple of swiss gear ones that have held up great over the years, and a very old Easpack one that is closing in on 25 years old! Also need one (for me) that will handle a computer and books when I head back for my masters soon.
smile.gif

May go with another swiss gear, but I really don't see those much any more. Also heard good things about LL Bean, Eddie Bauer, and the North Face ones.

Wondering what you guys use so I can shop around some....
smile.gif

I've been using the same high Sierra pack for a decade. Has been everything from a school bag at college to my edc bag when bicycle commuting. Currently it's in the trunk as a Bob and still ready for many more adventures.

Do you mean a hiking backpack, or a smaller daypack or book pack? I am happy with my Alps Mountaineering 90-liter pack. You might look at rei.com/oultet for some of their very good deals. That's where I got mine...

Over the years I've had a number of the inverted-U zippered backpacks blow up - the zipper gives out when the backpack is overloaded.

I've switched to top-loaders with a drawstring - they seem to last forever.

Depending on what part of Michigan you're in, you might want to cross the border and check out MEC (Mountain Equipment Company). Great shops, with a great selection of outdoor gear.

You probably have an equivalent retailer in the States - MEC is a co-op with high green/ethical standards.

Originally Posted By: Pete
Do you mean a hiking backpack, or a smaller daypack or book pack? I am happy with my Alps Mountaineering 90-liter pack. You might look at rei.com/oultet for some of their very good deals. That's where I got mine...

Kinda more of a book pack....but being rugged would be good!

I have used Swisstech or Wenger bags for several years, and they always last a long time.

The only time I ever had to get rid of one was when I replaced a 15.6 inch laptop with a 17 inch one.

For the kids there is something to be said about the social signals that the backpack and somewhere I got clued in that this is the rage now in terms of fashion, but I have no personal experience or have ever seen this or heard of a fjallraven before:

http://www.amazon.com/Fjallraven-F23510-...pack+fjallraven

But if it is in terms of practicality and value, I would buy whatever they're selling at costco-i think they were selling swissgear or samsonite.
I'd second the outdoor retailer to find a bag, such as at REI. Any brand they sell there will be sturdy bag or come with replacement/lifetime warranties.

If you want the one aspect to review for a bag, the most important aspect to review for a backpack are the zippers. If they don't look robust both in their teeth as well as the stitching to attach them to the fabric, pass and move on.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Olas
Bergen. Every time.

Never heard of them....will have to give them a look!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back