Pennzoil HM vs Mobil Super HM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pick one. No difference in the real world. Your overall maintenance and driving conditions will have more effect on your results.

Maxlife has a very stout cleaning package as well as it uses both calcium and sodium, not just calcium.

Your real dilemma is whether you want thick or thin, both Mobil and Maxlife are resource conserving whereas the Pennzoil along with Castrol HM remain "thick for grade" HM oil hold outs.

I really like the Pennzoil HM as it is thick for grade and uses a very stout traditional add pack (moly and boron with high calcium) but I have used Maxlife extensively also and never been disappointed other than it was noisy in my Jeep. The Sebring has been on Maxlife for years and thrives on it.

No experience with Mobil.

I'd like to see the comparisons between Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage and Valvoline Synpower with Maxlife technology. Both full synthetic HM oils. Would either of those clean better than their synblend counterparts?

so is it a fact that higher Calcium and Mag will = better cleaning?

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Pennzoil.

Me too. I'm less comfortable with the higher sodium oils. And on paper I like the higher Moly and Boron of Pennz.

I used Mobil in my old Camry with 300k mikes. Definitely reduced consumption by the end of the first 5k oci. Just put the pennzoil in my ltd. Would be hard to compare them because they're very different cars.

I've used both Mobil super and pennzoil HM. I've settled on the Mobil super HM. It's much less noisy than the PHM in the cold weather, it's a synblend and it's usually cheaper. I'd had no problem running either if one was out.

Originally Posted By: SavagePatch
I'd like to see the comparisons between Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage and Valvoline Synpower with Maxlife technology. Both full synthetic HM oils. Would either of those clean better than their synblend counterparts?

Pennzoil High Mileage is a conventional oil, not a synthetic blend.

They're all good. But your motor will like one above the others. Do 4K OCI's and listen to what the motor sounds like on cold start and hot valve train noise on each. It will become clear in a few changes which your motor likes the best
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: _MAXIMUS_
He said pennzoil platinum high mileage. Which is a synthetic

Read again. He asked how MaxLife full syn or Platinum High Mileage Full syn compare to their "SynBlend counterparts"

The only SynBlend counterpart is MaxLife SynBlend. The Pennzoil High Mileage is conventional.

Originally Posted By: Branson304
Originally Posted By: _MAXIMUS_
He said pennzoil platinum high mileage. Which is a synthetic

Read again. He asked how MaxLife full syn or Platinum High Mileage Full syn compare to their "SynBlend counterparts"

The only SynBlend counterpart is MaxLife SynBlend. The Pennzoil High Mileage is conventional.

Good catch! I should have said synblend and conventional counterparts. Are the additive packs of the synthetic HM oils the same as the synblend and conventional oils?

Originally Posted By: Branson304
Originally Posted By: SavagePatch

Pennzoil High Mileage is a conventional oil, not a synthetic blend.

I hear and read about rumors that PYB has "some" synthetic base oil in it. If so, wouldn't you think the same for PHM?

I figure it's all just rumor and urban legend. But then again,what does synthetic even mean anymore these days besides clever marketing gimmick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back