Neonicotinoid Pesticide Effects on Honeybees

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
This is probably why almonds are over $7 a pound. Certain types of crops cannot grow without honeybees.

PBS NewsHour

Wikipedia

Neonicotinoid pesticides? That's news that is at least 2 decades old and started with Gaucho in France. Are you folks in California really just finding out about it?

......That and that each almond represents about a gallon of water.

UD

Originally Posted By: UncleDave

UD

I always thought that number was B.$., so decided today to do the math...

4 feet of water required per acre of almonds ... 1.3M gallons of water per acre.

2670lb of kernels per acre...going to have to go metric here, and 1.2g/kernel....gives 1.2 million kernels per acre.

That's pretty close...I'm astounded.

Need to look up how 2000 gals of water turns into a gallon of milk next.

I read somewhere that the way that particular pesticide is killing hives is because the corn plant uptakes the pesticide and during harvest when the plant is dry and brittle the dust from the harvest fields containing micro particles of the plant that is laced with the pesticide, ride back to the hive on bees. Been a while since I read the article, so cut me slack if I have it wrong, lol.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

UD

4 feet of water required per acre of almonds ... 1.3M gallons of water per acre.

2670lb of kernels per acre...going to have to go metric here, and 1.2g/kernel....gives 1.2 million kernels per acre.

Pretty crazy.

Now why do we have to buy low flow shower heads? You'd think good hygiene ougt to cost peanuts...

wink.gif

[ok a peanut is not a nut and certainly not an almond, and I'm conflating unrelated things.... but that was my first thought that came to mmind. If an almond requires a gallon of water, then a gallon or two to do anything seems, well, trivial. But yes, I know, wastewater treatment is not.]

Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: Shannow

UD

Pretty crazy.

Now why do we have to buy low flow shower heads? You'd think good hygiene ougt to cost peanuts...

wink.gif

[ok a peanut is not a nut and certainly not an almond, and I'm conflating unrelated things.... but that was my first thought that came to mmind. If an almond requires a gallon of water, then a gallon or two to do anything seems, well, trivial. But yes, I know, wastewater treatment is not.]

You have low flow water heads because some water rights for farms (some are generations old) receive preferential treatment.

In my area low flow shower heads exist for several reasons

1 The cost of wastewater treatment. Water treatment plants are costly and have a large footprint. They consume very large quantities of electricity for pumping and are expensive to operate and maintain

2 Environmental considerations. We have the Chesapeake Bay and it has been degraded as a result of the byproducts of wastewater. Less wastewater contributes to a healthier bay.

3 As the population expands the flow of water increases resulting in costly infrastructure upgrades

4 Reduced energy consumption. Less hot water having to be produced for a twenty minute shower

And of course, water conservation. Drought stricken areas and marginal areas being able to supply water demand.

Also, low flow toilets contribute greatly to overall water and sewage issues.

Now I am not a tree hugger and have valid questions about our role in climate change. But being in the water end of the business I see the need to use our water wisely.

And oh....I do enjoy smoked and salted almonds.

If the FDA recommend 24 almond kernels per day, then that's an extra 24 gallons that you have contributed to that day...your shower head didn't save that much.

Low flow shower heads and toilets also cause problems for older sewage treatment plants not designed for such concentrated waste.

Rod

You need a higher quality of water for your showerhead when compared to what plants need. Reclaimed wastewater from a low-tech treatment facility is good enough to raise crops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back