Oil filter cutter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ChevyBadger
Originally Posted By: Brybo86
And I'll say it again.... Pics please
click on the ebay link, I will try to remember to get pics of it fomorrow.

There is only 1 pic and it's black and white. Taken circa 1982 with Kodak film then scanned with a $40 All in one printer scanner fax machine.
Distance between idler wheels would be nice as well.

Last edited:
^^^^
Is that one custom made by the seller, or is it made in China or where ever?

Originally Posted By: BigD1
^^^^
Is that one custom made by the seller, or is it made in China or where ever?
It looks to be custom made by the seller. Its hand welded not machine welded and most the parts are fairly common. Obviously the aluminum block was machined. After looking at it I could make these fairly cheap if I could machine the aluminum.

I thought it was custom made. I think I will buy one after Christmas. Pretty sure the cutter can be easily replaced.

You could make the aluminum base and block from wood. I don't think the guy makes too much money on these by the time all the materials and parts are bought.

I have the same one and so far it works just fine, have cut 8 now and no issues still sharp. I also have the muffler tubing cutter and will use it on smaller filters until it dulls just to save this one longer. This one cuts full sized down to small imports.

I ordered the Ebay cutter today. Nicked my finger just a bit last time I cut open a filter with snips, so the need for the right tool for the job. Now I just need my license!

Emailed the seller about the replaceable cutting wheel, and what cutting wheel could be used if it ever needed replaced. Here is what he said.

"It's a standard RIGID pipe cutter blade, available at most good hardware outlets. In reality, you should never need to replace it."

Fabian--fabfactory770

i guess oil filter cutters would come down if everyone bought one... Buy them for your wives birthdays and see how that goes.
Just don't tell her it was my idea...lol

Personally for me that would be a great present...

My wife asked me why I needed an oil filter cutter. I said see that cut on my finger from last time. Not a peep out of her since.

Just received it! Lightning fast shipping. I'll check it out tomorrow and post some pics, Initial impression is definitely homemade, but seems decent enough. Parts a little crooked in mounting (bearings a bit cock-eyed.) Seems like it will work fine. Test and pictures soon!

Got mine today too because he sends it three day priority mail. My bearings were fine. Might have to unscrew the bearings from the bottom, and hit yours with a mill file to smooth the seat.

I cut open a new ACDelco PF52 Classic, and it cut through it like a hot knife through butter. I did take off the oil filter base gasket first, and then got the blade snug to the filter, and then flipped the cutter over so it was on top, and the filter on the bottom in my hand, and then I just spun the cutter while the filter was stationary in my hand. It zipped right through it.

Nice! I just cut open a Drive works filter DW4459. I touched filter with blade, then 1/8" tighter. Spun filter by hand. Tighten another 1/8", etc. Took about 3 tightrenings and it came right open, super clean cut. I also took off the gasket first.

BigD1, the bolts on my bearings seem loose. The bearings can move up and down probably an 1/8th inch or so. I can see thread above bearing. Bearing is free floating up and down. Are yours that way? I havent tried to tighten it up. I'll play with it more tomorrow.

My bolts are tight--can't turn them with my hand-- and the bottom of the bolts sit flush with the bottom of the cutter. The bearing assembly does move up and down, but if you flip it over after the filter is loaded, and just turn the cutter while the filter is stationary in your hand I don't think it matters. Probably designed that way. If the bolts are too loose, just put some blue loctite on them, but the bearings moving up and down are part of the design I think, or it does not matter. It easily cuts a filter open.

I just cut open a second filter, and it zipped right through it. So much easier now than using snips. I did take the blade out, and see if it had any markings, and it did not have any markings. It does look like a standard RIGID cutting wheel, so a new cutter will not be a problem. If the cutter did get dull, I could put a good edge on it quick with some diamond stones I use for sharpening. From the reviews I read about the Summit Racing and Jegs oil filter cutter, the cutter was not replaceable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back